Doubled today

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Doubled today

Post by DoubleUp »

This morning was my first attempt at calling since I fractured L3 in my back in early Sept. I got set up just before daylight this morning with a NE crosswind at about 5. I decided to begin with cottontail distress on the Firestorm. Set it up about 35 yds away on medium volume and had the Mojo critter doing its magic as well just as soon as it was light enough to see good. I played the call for about 10 minutes and here comes two coyotes charging fast when I spot them about 150 yds out and coming from the not quite downwind side of the field.

Lead dog gets about 20 yds from the Mojo and I woof at her. She stops and bam the 204 knocks her flat with a neck shot. I actually remembered to take the safety off. Firestorm fox bang kicks in with coyote pup distress at full volume. Male dog is digging for the hills, but just before leaving the field, he turns and looks back giving me a broadside shot about 160 yds out. Bam, lung shot and the second dog goes down in a heap and falls into a small ditch.

It felt really good to get a called double again especially with the boltgun. I had to phone my wife to come and help me load them, but she didn’t mind since I was less than a mile from the home place. Doc won’t allow me pick up anything so can’t do pictures holding them up, and he probably wouldn’t agree for me to go calling if he knew it. It was just too pretty a morning not to give it a try. I’m sure glad I did, but one stand was all I could muster.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Doubled today

Post by ryutzy »

Congrats!! glad your up and out again. I'd have to do a lil sweet talking to get my wife to come load a few yotes. lol
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Thats good stuff! I wish I could find some time. But when night season kicks in here, I will have the time at night.
WTG!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Way to go DU! After being laid up for a while and finally getting out sure is a good feeling I can relate to, and a coyote double is icing on the proverbial cake. Nice job for sure. :D

You're lucky wifey helped you load the critters.....mine would never ever touch a mangy dead coyote without gloves and a HazMat suit! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I would imagine the hunt was pretty good "therapy" for you! Now, go take it easy and get ready the next one. Maybe that kitty you got a picture of?
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

Thanks guys. Yes it was good therapy. Well maybe just a twinge more pain in the back yesterday but feels good today. My wife of 33 years is a precious woman and a real trooper. Actually she tried to make me let her try to load them herself, but she is 5'2" and about 125 lbs and at 65 that's a little much. So, we worked together and got it done okay. She did wear gloves and mentioned that she got some blood on her boots, but that was her only complaint.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

DoubleUp--Congratulations on a GREAT hunt!!! I sure envy the fact you were able to get your wife to help you load up those critters. My wife won't get anywhere near the dead predators I bag. About 30 years ago she didn't mind being in the garage where I used to do all my skinning, but then one time a flea hitched a ride with her into the house and she felt it crawling on her neck. That was the last time she ventured into the garage when I was skinning or had dead critters hanging in the garage. I usually spray them down real good with an aerosol flea killer now, but she still doesn't like to be around them.

Thanks for sharing the story and the photos. That old .204 Ruger cartridge does a real number on those coyotes. Good calling and good shooting!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Glad to see you're up and about. A double, good way to get back in the saddle.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

Good to hear you are doing well after surgery but please take it easy and follow recommendations from your doc and therapist. You don't want to set yourself up for further complications.

I had similar problems and couldn't even shoot a .22 cal from Feb til Aug this year. I was getting antsy but listened and it paid off.

Oh and good shooting.
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

Dennis, thanks for the info. Actually I've been trying to follow the requirements pretty close, although I didn't have surgery on the fracture. Doc said it was very stable and only about a 2% chance that I would need surgery. He also said he could put cement in the fracture if I needed it, but I'm doing well enough that I think I'll be okay. My back does still get sort of weak feeling and I may have a little pain by the evening, but I just take a couple ibuprofen if needed. I'm so glad not to be paralyzed that the long healing time is just a minor inconvenience.
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

Good to hear. It will get better.