Last season

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Last season

Post by Melvin Eades »

I haven't been on here much this summer, seems like there was always something that needed done and just haven't been on the computer that much. Clint and I were talking the other day about it being time to start coyote hunting with the cooler weather we have been having lately and also a few crops are starting to come out. It got me to reflecting on last season when I remembered I had kept a spread sheet of the coyotes I shot last year just for the fun of it. Here are the results of those hunts, all are posted here on the board.

I was fortunate to shoot 21 coyotes last year, 20 of them with my CZ American shooting a 39 grain Sierra B.K and one with my 20 gauge while deer hunting. Of the 21, I called in 3 and the rest were sniped. I had ranged all of them and my closest shot was 33 yards and the farthest was 322 yards for an average of 157 yards. 6 were shot less than 100 yards, 9 between 100-200 yards, 4 between 200-300 yards and 2 past 300 yards. My son Lucas beat me for the longest shot at 338 yards using my American.

Anyone that says a 204 won't kill a coyote out past 250 yards has either never hunted with one are they just don't want to believe it can be done.

I hope all of you have a successful and safe season this year and share your hunts with us here on the board.

P.S. Don't forget to take lots of pictures!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
K22

Re: Last season

Post by K22 »

Good to see you back Melvin. Like you, I'm starting to get ready for the season too. While my first love is a 17Rem. and that is what I generally use, last year I mainly used the 204 with the 35gr. Berger. My longest shot was 125yds. (approx.) , but I did take it off hand as time was short and the Coyote was fronting me. One shot, one Coyote. I've only shot 5 Coyotes with the 204 so far, but it has been a one shot DRT with no exit hole. This year I'm having another 17 Rem. made and I'm sure it will hold center stage....................geeze I can't wait until its done. 12 more weeks, but who's counting!! I do want to use the 204 to see if these new CRT 34gr. hp's work as well as I think they will on Coyotes.
Anyway, I said all of that just to say that I am very impressed with the 204.

I forgot to add, that my new Coyote hunting partner will probably be using my 204. One of my daughters is growing quite fond of it and she is shooting it as well as I do. 8)
dozernomore
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Post by dozernomore »

I have shot 4 yotes this past summer,just back road cruising for the final hour of daylight and 2 were with my savage mdl 25 204ruger and 40gr v-max,both yotes were between 280 yards and 300 yards and both were D.R.T..I am a believer in the 204 and 40gr v-max.The other 2 were with my 243 and 65gr v-max 260 yards and 320 yards and they were D.R.T. also.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

K22,

Do what ever you can to help her enjoy the hunts so she will want to do it more. I think it's really neat to see a women/girl out hunting, especially when they show up the guys.

dozernomore,

I shoot 65 gr. V-Max in my .243 also and they will definitely put down a coyote (works real good on "undocumented" cats too). Only thing is, I keep taking my .204 and the .243 stays in the safe.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
K22

Post by K22 »

Melvin Eades wrote:K22,

Do what ever you can to help her enjoy the hunts so she will want to do it more. I think it's really neat to see a women/girl out hunting, especially when they show up the guys.
You can be sure that I will. Out of the 6 girls, a couple showed slight interest, but she has shown the most. We've been doing a lot of bench shooting for now, but she indicated she wanted to go Coyote hunting. She is able to match my groups. :( :D Her mother, who is a pretty darn good rifle shooter is wanting a match between her and our daughter.
I was going to post her target, but she ran off with it to brag to her husband who now thinks he can do better than her :roll: .................ya right! I've probably created a monster.