More .20 Cal Fun with Oregon Rock Chucks

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

More .20 Cal Fun with Oregon Rock Chucks

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Today dawned clear and sunny. Got an early morning call again from my horse rancher lady to please come out and thin a few more chucks. The place was still alive with them when I left last time, so expected her to call again (oh darn). I don't want to wipe the place out, as it's a nice place to shoot every spring, but I grabbed my Cooper M38 VR in 20 Vartarg and zipped over there for some "thinning duties".

As soon as I laid down in the shade of a juniper to glass the first rockpile, I could see chucks out grazing at about 225 yards, and more crawling about or basking in the morning sun on almost every rockpile I could see from the ranch house fenceline.

Anyway, in two hours of skulking about the ranch with camo and boonie hat (Natural Gear), and shooting from modified sticks, I was able to nail six chucks with six shots. One huge old grey back bore that probably weighed about 14-15 lbs easily.

Here's the morning fun:

There was one rockpile at the far end of the ranch that I could see through an opening in the junipers that had a chuck sitting atop the highest rock. I lined up on him, shot, and thought I saw him flip over the rock. When I got there, no chuck....but then I spotted the rock he had been sitting on:

I went around the rockpile, and there he was, wegged into the rocks, and oh boy, did he ever take a hit...right under the chin, and the .204" 32 grain Nosler BT came out the middle of his spine:

This big boy took one of the same slugs from 186 yards, right under the chin as he was peeking over a rock at me. It's amazing what terminal performance this little case delivers:

Typical setting. Most shooting is through openings in the junipers, so you have to 'thread' the bullet through branches, barbed wire fences, and rock openings. Perfect for a flat shooting, accurate caliber like the little 20VT. The photo does not show it, but there's a rockpile at the very far end of the field near the 'sky window' in the trees that has chucks perched on it:

If the ranch was larger and homes were farther apart, it would be "204 Ruger Territory", but it's not, so a smaller version of it seems about perfect. Here's another one of the larger boys from today:

As I was driving out the driveway, I spotted a huge old silverback bore scamper up his rockpile, and two more on the backside of another, so there's still plenty of seed for the future. All in all, another good day in Oregon. Time to clean my Cooper.....another EORFS rat shoot coming up next week. I'm really starting to like this retired thing. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: More .20 Cal Fun with Oregon Rock Chucks

Post by Vartarg »

Once again, Rick, the photos and report are great!!! What a combination: a Cooper, the 20VT, the chucks and a beautiful day! :mrgreen:

And at the same time you're able to demonstrate what a gentleman you are, coming to the aid of a lady in need! :lol:

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Kind of wishing that I was retired. LOL I've got about 30 years to retirement tho :wall:
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

Rick in Oregon wrote: One huge old grey back bore ... :
Hey, I resemble that remark! :eek: Great shooting and write up as usual, Rick! Good luck next week. I hope we get some more of this nice weather for you.

Tim
No Off Season
Predator and Varmint Gear and Hunts
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Post by GlennGTR1 »

Eastern Oregon and beautiful Cooper rifles, the two just seem to go togeather. Nice write up, always good to read your posts. That 20 vartarg is an idea that could grow on a feller. I am feeling the need for a Cooper.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glenn: Thanks buddy. Just be aware of the "Cooper Curse" before you take the plunge. I was warned by the likes of BCB and others....once you get one, you've just GOT to have another! :lol:

Seriously though, I've only got three of them, but they are now my most used/carried/shot varmint rifles in my safe. The VR and MTV models are even light enough to carry about during a chuck hunt. Scoped, ready to rock, they all weigh just a tad over 9 lbs. I'm now plotting my next one......it IS a curse (to the bank account). ;)

This guy is saying "No more Coopers.....I HATE 'em!"

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Awesome photos and report Rick!! Looks like a beautiful day in E. Oregon.

I waited for you at the Portland airport this past weekend so that you could bring me that M38, but you never showed up! I was pretty disappointed. :mrgreen:

Good news is that I placed 2nd in my competition in Washington and won a barrel certificate from Shilen for 50% off a barrel blank. Good stuff. :wtg: :trophy:
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

What a combination, retirement and a target rich environment! Such a helpful guy, clearing out some of those nasty chucks for the nice lady. Glad to see the 32 grain 20VTs are working out well for you. I am in the process of loading all my empty cases with some 32 grain Blitzkings for prairie dog time. Great pictures. Caldwell is coming out with a new tripod that holds both ends of the rifle up. They are not available yet. I use shooting sticks to clear out the critters in the area that we are going to set up a great shooting bench for the day.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trent wrote:Awesome photos and report Rick!! Looks like a beautiful day in E. Oregon.
I waited for you at the Portland airport this past weekend so that you could bring me that M38, but you never showed up! I was pretty disappointed. :mrgreen:
Good news is that I placed 2nd in my competition in Washington and won a barrel certificate from Shilen for 50% off a barrel blank. Good stuff. :wtg: :trophy:
Trent: The Portland PDX TSA goons didn't take to me carrying that rifle case through the airport to meet you. When they opened it up, screams of "SNIPER!" echoed through the terminal, and I had to scurry off before I got cuffed and taken away. You'll just have to try another tactic to try to snag my Cooper M38 20VT buddy! :wink:

Hey, cool about winning your competition! Congratulations on the win, bud. :D

Sidewinderwa: Yep, retirement and a target-rich environment. Almost paradise, but remember I waited/worked for 42 years before 'getting here'. Once we get 'here', we just have to live long enough to enjoy it!

Have a great PD shoot, and send Skippy and his pals lots of those 32gr SBK's.....I know he hates 'em. :!: We're off again in a few days for another 4-day shoot ourselves. I'm starting to think if a guy had a 20VT and a 204R, maybe a 6mm of some sort for the wind and long stuff, he'd have the Trifecta of varmint rifles calibers for 100% of all rat-shooting possibilities. Ain't life grand? Especially at this time of year! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

I love the picture with the chucks draped over the bleached out snag splattered with blood with the cooper leaning against it. You should send it down to the "Visit Bend" office to see if they want to put it on an official brochure. Might be good for tourism!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Thanks for the pictures, Rick. I'll be out in the fields ina couple of weeks.

Jim
3delta
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Venture predator

Post by 3delta »

Where are you hunting Rick? My son is a sergeant with the Crook County Sheriffs Dept and lives in Prineville. I went up and hunted rats with him a few years ago. I love that country.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

3delta: Not one to give up local honey-holes on the internet, let's just say I was shooting those chucks east of town here, and west of Prineville on a small horse ranch. :D I'm sure your son is familiar with the area.

I love it here too.....moved here from a logging camp in B.C. 36 years ago just for the hunting and varmint shooting if that tells you anything. When I saw True Grit (original) and Rooster Cogburn and knew where they were filmed, that sewed it up for me.....been here ever since; great country.

In the next couple of weeks I'll be shooting chucks again on a different, much larger horse ranch north of here. If fortune smiles upon me, I'll post the adventure. I think one of my 204's needs to stretch her legs...... ;)

Hey, by the way.......Welcome to the 204um! :!:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Rick love you comment and keep the good shooting!!

I love it here too.....moved here from a logging camp in B.C. 36 years ago just for the hunting and varmint shooting if that tells you anything. When I saw True Grit (original) and Rooster Cogburn and knew where they were filmed, that sewed it up for me.....been here ever since; great country.

John Wayne what a legen!
Thank you
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

3delta: Here's a pic at a location your son is sure to recognize here, taken right at 30 years ago....my Sako Vixen .223 Rem sporter w/Leupold 12X with some Crook County rock chucks that had felt better the night before :wink: .

Here's a big 16.5 lb. chuck I shot that day. The rifle in the photo is a 'new that week' Ruger 77/22 Mag that I just had to take a pic of. The chuck was shot at 230 yards with my Sako .223 and a 50gr Nosler Solid Base off my Harris bipod:

That was another good day here. :D

Ray P.: Thanks bud.....it's great living in the real "John Wayne country".......with real guns! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA