First yote off of the deck this season.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

First yote off of the deck this season.

Post by Gube »

Was enjoying a cup of coffee yesterday morning when I looked out the window and noticed this fella out in the slough bottom about 275 yds out. My 3 204's were begging to have their turn but they were in the midst of being cleaned, so once again the 243 T3 lite got another "turn" to put the smack down on another one. I had to give a loud "woof" to get him to stop. As soon as he stopped and turned sideways, the 88 gr berger was sent on its way.

Savage Vaporizer
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: First yote off of the deck this season.

Post by Song Dog »

LOL I was wondering when you was going to pop one from the deck. WTG Gube!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

WTG Gube is see snow on the ground the meat cycle isnt to far away now.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Nice!!!! Looks like im not the only one who whacks em from the house! I shot one the other morning from my porch. I wasn't able to get a shot off at her partner.....looks like I'll have to get my calls out for that one. I've shot 8 so far this calendar year from my house. Been thinking about putting a bait pile out this winter. How do your 88 gr bergers do on yotes? Do they mushroom or fly apart on contact? In my 243 I've been using Hornady 75 gr hollow pts and vmaxs. So far these are incredibly deadly. Just curious about the bergers.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Gube

Post by Gube »

Clint E wrote:WTG Gube is see snow on the ground the meat cycle isnt to far away now.
Snow is disappearing fast. We have a bunch of warm weather coming through. "Highs" expected of 60 deg F. I have a butcher lined up for meat scraps so once the cold weather rolls in, I should have a "shooting gallery" over the "meatsickle" :twisted:

ryutzy wrote:Nice!!!! Looks like im not the only one who whacks em from the house! I shot one the other morning from my porch. I wasn't able to get a shot off at her partner.....looks like I'll have to get my calls out for that one. I've shot 8 so far this calendar year from my house. Been thinking about putting a bait pile out this winter. How do your 88 gr bergers do on yotes? Do they mushroom or fly apart on contact? In my 243 I've been using Hornady 75 gr hollow pts and vmaxs. So far these are incredibly deadly. Just curious about the bergers.
The 88's are not exactly "fur friendly" but not to bad. I think I've whacked about a 1/2 dozen with the 88's and and have not had a single exit from them. Entrance holes average about an inch in diameter. I still may try the 95 gr VLD's but not sure if my 1 in 10 twist will be fast enough to stabilize them. I ordered a batch of 87 gr V-maxes to try out and I know for sure they are not "fur friendly".
Oh yeah and RYUTZY. We like PICS over here. Show us the yote carnage from your arsenal. :mrgreen:
Savage Vaporizer
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Yeah I need to get my photos to photobucket or somewhere to be able to post them. How do you create your meatsickle? I was going to mix water with scrap meat etc and freeze it in a 5 gal bucket. I thot id spray hot water around the bucket then to be able to drop out the meatsickle. Do you have any other proven tactics that'd be better? I've used a baitpile with great success in the past but the whole meatsickle thing sounds like a great idea.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

I always enjoy your deck kills.
Gube

Post by Gube »

ryutzy wrote:Yeah I need to get my photos to photobucket or somewhere to be able to post them. How do you create your meatsickle? I was going to mix water with scrap meat etc and freeze it in a 5 gal bucket. I thot id spray hot water around the bucket then to be able to drop out the meatsickle. Do you have any other proven tactics that'd be better? I've used a baitpile with great success in the past but the whole meatsickle thing sounds like a great idea.
I used to use a large plastic trash container but it became quite difficult to remove the contents without wrecking the container. Here are some pics of my earlier ones.

In this next one the one in front is almost all gone. The one behind me was a fresh one just brought out.

I now use a large, much shallower, rectangular plastic tub from wallmart. Once frozen, it is much easier to remove the contents compared to the garbage cans. The main staple is cheap dog food, table scraps, and meat / bone scraps from the local butcher. I throw it all together, pour hot water over top of the contents (I find the hot water works better than cold to bind everything together as it is freezing). Once it freezes solid, I haul it out with my sled and tip er upside down. A couple of light taps with the hammer and walla..... "meatsickle"
Savage Vaporizer
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Very nice Gube!! I will give that a try.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

How do you get that big container inside your freezer to make the freeze-cicle?

LOL

Curious what you do with it at night to keep the predators from stealing the bait when you can't zap them?

Allen
Gube

Post by Gube »

hemiallen wrote: Curious what you do with it at night to keep the predators from stealing the bait when you can't zap them?

Allen
The "meatsickle" is very heavy which means they can't drag it away. All they can do is slowly pick away at. :mrgreen: It takes about a good solid two weeks of steady activity before I have to make up another one.
Savage Vaporizer