My first "Yodle Puppy"

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

My first "Yodle Puppy"

Post by futuretrades »

Between the weather and busy getting yard work and garden done, I finally caught a break! The weather finally broke, the sun came out and it got warm. Actually my neighbor and myself planned a shoot up at my favorite spot for skippy. We got all set up by 8:30 AM. after checking my other spot first. The alfalfa was up around 10 inches high, but we set up on a little rise and were able to shoot down just a tad and I could see a few targets here and there. The shooting was a little slow all morning, but with the heat, almost 80 degrees, I still had to use my old trick of putting a wet towel on the barrel, so as not to over heat it. About 11 am we decided to eat some lunch and take a break. We just finished lunch and were sitting around B S ing. I happened to look all the way across the field we were shooting and I seen what looked like a dog. My buddy grabbed his binoculars, and said to me it looked like a coyote. Then out of the brush stepped another one! I jumped up and headed for my shooting bench where my 204 was already in position for a shot. Needless to say I was excited! :eek: I sat down at my bench and grabbed one of my reloads. I was shooting my 39gr SBK's at the time because the wind had started blowing. As I took aim at the dog, My mind was calculating distance, wind direction and wind velocity. I took a swag, ( scientific wild a$$ guess) at the distance of close to 500 yards. I adjusted for what I thought the wind would blow the bullet, at a velocity of right at 3800 FPS. I put the 3rd mil dot just to the right of the dog. I started squeezing the trigger, adjusted down to 12 to 15 ozs. The shot went off before I knew what happened. I saw the dog hunch up. Her head went back and down she went! Never even quivered. DRT. I stared thru the scope in disbelief. I looked at my buddy, who was watching the dog thru his binocs when I made the shot. He turned and looked at me and grinned, then was laughing, then he said to me, " that was one heck of a shot.
I tried to get a range on the body of the dog, with my rangefinder, but could not. I grabbed my camera and my rangefinder, and out across the field I went. After I found the dead coyote, I ranged back to my truck. The range was 419 Yards, so I checked again and then again and the range was the same each time, 419 yards. Below are some of the pics I took. The dog was what look to me a young female, around 20 lbs. and in very good condition.

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... CT0019.jpg

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... CT0017.jpg

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... CT0016.jpg

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... CT0020.jpg

Looking back at my pickup from the coyote
http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... 0021-1.jpg

This was the only Skippy I found
http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... CT0023.jpg

Some of you may question the ethics of this shot. I don't like to see an animal run away crippled either. On the other hand we have been told by the land owner to try and kill any coyote we see. So that is what I did. And I got lucky. On inspection of the body, it looks like my bullet struck the hind leg on the knee, traveling up into the ponch. where it went from there, I do not know. All I know is she dropped dead in her tracks, never moving again
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Re: My first "Yodle Puppy"

Post by tt35 »

Heck of a shot, for sure! Especially in the wind! Congrats.
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

WTG a coyote and skippy in one day that was a great shot
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Wow Kevin, you're my hero! :lol: Nice shooting! See ya soon! Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Kevin: Try to shoot a badger before we come down soon. Gary likes to look at them from up close and personal. We're wondering why he doesn't shoot one himself....... :chin:

Congrats on the desert dog too. Don't ya just love "combo hunts"? ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Thanks guys!
Rick in Oregon wrote:Congrats on the desert dog too. Don't ya just love "combo hunts"?
Ya I do really love these combo hunts! :lol: The 2nd dog kicked in the after burners, when he saw his mate flop over backwards. Or maybe I could have gotten a double. But I am still a happy camper. And the 204 still amazes me. I am truly in aw at this wonderful caliber!

I had to reload some more ammo for the rat rodeo coming up, and I still have more to load, but I am getting really jazzed. Trigger finger is gettin twitchy and palms are startin to sweat. I AM READY :camper:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.