Prairie dog blues

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Prairie dog blues

Post by Mike »

Unfortunately, my usual shooting location in Wyoming has fallen through this year. The rancher had a very successful poisoning and says that there really isn't much left to shoot at right now. I've placed a few calls to other ranchers in the area (Eastern WY) and keep hearing that either poisoning or the plague have hammered the prairie dog populations. Is this whole area pretty bad or are there still some decent dog towns around?

My group is going to follow some more leads in WY, but if they continue to fail we may start looking for another venue. We've done the reservation thing in SD and don't have any real desire to do that again. The next focus might be SW Kansas, since that would be the shortest drive from MO where we'll all be coming from. Any other good areas that we should key in on?

Thanks,
Mike
skb2706

Re: Prairie dog blues

Post by skb2706 »

If you decide SW KS call ahead. The Cimarron Grasslands have been hit pretty hard with plague. There are still plenty of pds in WY but you have to get off the highway to see them.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

I feel your pain...it seems like you find a good spot and then it gets poisoned out... Place now gets shot plenty, it should be OK until someone dies and it changes hands. Maybe those little squirrels would be a good substitution that they have out there. Might be the same problem....finding them.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
Ruger1
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV

Post by Ruger1 »

I don't kow how much you guys are paying or if you are at all but you might contact Lyle Anderson at Double A Outfitters in White Horse SD. It's outside Mobridge. They have a 1st class facility and are a great family. It's all inclusive with the food, drinks and shooting but you are left to shoot on your own and last tiem I was there they had tons of dogs.

Their site is www.doubleaoutfitters.net