First Chuck of the Season and Entered the Club

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

First Chuck of the Season and Entered the Club

Post by Verminator2 »

Got my first chuck of the season last Friday, 3/26/10. (Yes i know it's too early to do any real chuck shooting)

Spring Break finally arrived at our school, so Tuesday I went over to my cousin's (Gus) house to try to get some squirrel shooting in, and maybe try to get the first rockchuck of the 2010 season. Turns out Wednesday and Thursday were nasty. It was hailing, raining, and snowing, along with 15-20 mph winds. Still got some squirrel shooting in, while hiding behind the down wind side of railroad ties.

Friday showed up and it looked like it was going to be another bad day. Sure enough, the wind started blowing and it started to snow. About noon we were eating lunch and saw that it was getting sunny out and the wind wasn't quite so bad. I got out the spotting scope, and within 30 seconds I saw one chuck, then another one just down the rim. We took the rifles out and Gus got the range on the rim. I was going to take a sighter shot, but the rockchuck came back out so we decided to just shoot. First shot, nothing.

My uncle says " You know what you guys just did?"

"No, what?!?"

"You just shot my powerline..."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Turns out, in a huge vacancy of space, there was one power line connecting the power from the barn to the shop about 100 yards away. The way our scopes were set, we couldn't see the power line in them. No one had even thought about it, but I dead centered a 1/2" cable from 100 yards and broke it in half on the first shot,on accident. I don't know what the odds are to have everything aligned to make that happen, but it has to be huge. Just shows how careful you have to be when shooting.Luckily the power company said they wouldn't charge to fix it, they probably got a good enough laugh out of it. :oops:

Once they got the power fixed we went past the power line and shot again. It took 15 shots to determine that Gus had ranged the rim 200 yards further than it actually was. We got closer and tried again. 3 shots, 10 minutes of windage(~100") and we were in business.

Now I haven't told you yet, but we were trying to get into the 1000 yard club on this rockchuck, just cause.... well why not? So the range on this was 1008, but the rock was farther down the rim. Where the rockchuck was ranged at 989. So we packed up all of our gear and walked back down the road away from the chuck 15 yards.

The rockchuck pops back up, but before we can get correlated on it, it starts getting closer on the rim. Well crap, we can't shoot it then find out its 998 yards. So while Gus spots to make sure it doesn't come back out, I am moving stuff back 50 yards, just to be sure. Then I get in the scope while Gus runs back. Serious sniper stuff. Well kinda. Pretty soon 2 cottontails started running around on the rim rock. I don't think real sniper shoot rabbits while in the hide, but whatever. I didn't hit it.

So we wait, and wait, and wait. About a hour and a half later, and an agreement to dub it Bad Luck Chuck (powerline, rangefinder wrong, ect.), it comes back out. I jump on the gun and Gus gets on it with the spotting scope. I chamber a .243 AI case with 46.7 H4831 and a 105 Amax and get lined up. After a light squeeze on the trigger and 1.5 seconds later Gus calls it 18 inches low. Woops. I throw in another cartridge and adjust the scope up.

You know those old western movies where the bad guys are up on the rim having a shoot out with the good guys on the flat, and when one gets shot they clutch their chest and fall forward? Well after the shot Bad Luck Chuck stiffened up and then fell off of the rim, flipping 2 times. Nice.

We jumped up ran in circles, yelled, cartwheeled, and probably other things I can't remember. My other cousin and friend jumped on the four wheelers and the 4 of us took off to the rim. After a good climb we found the chuck laying 12 feet below where I hit him. We climbed up to the spot and ranged back. 1042, 1046, 1044, 1044. 1044 yards, second shot, first chuck of the year, first chuck over 1000 yards, entered the 1000 yard club. Doesn't get much better than that.

Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: First Chuck of the Season and Entered the Club

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Great shot Verm2!!!

That smile should last for a month! :eek: Too bad about the powerline, but I'm betting it'll be long forgotton, but that chuck shot will be with you for your entire life. Way to go, bud. :!:

(Gotta love the .243AI too!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

Nice shooting!
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Congrats! Well written story. Thanks!
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Nice tale and great shooting.Just got my243 AI from Hart today.Beautifull,can't wait to shoot it.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Verm2, great shooting! (except the power line part), that's a great way to start the season. Now the weather just has to cooperate. Gary
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

Great story, thanks for sharing. Nice shot. The power line incident reminded me of an elk hunt where I really messed up sort of. It was in sept. and we would drive up to the contenental devide on an old log road. Three of us would stealth down to another drainage where the truck driver would be waiting. It was about a 3 mile hike and if we got an elk we would 1/4 it and hang it and go for horses.

I slid into a small opening next to a small meadow. A cow elk materialized and I used a stadia type range device on my bow to decide it was 25 yards. I did everything right, the arrow flew true and just short of the elk it went crazy. The elk jumped like a whiped horse and was gone. There in midair hung my arrow. One single willow about 15 foot tall had been between me and the elk. I hit it in the only possible way that the broadhead would not just cut it off. The energy from the arrow slapped the elk with the top of the willow.

It doesnt matter if you dont believe me. Nobody did then either. I would guess that you could shoot those same broadheads at similar sized willows for thousands of shots and never stick one.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Verm2...... :mrgreen: Congras on one heck of shot!! Great story and as far as the electric wire ..........it happens.
Thanks again and nice pic.
Joe O Congrads on your 243AI from Hart............It should be a real shooter. What twist did you settle on? Post some pics when you get time. We all like pics. :wink:
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Joe O Congrads on your 243AI from Hart............It should be a real shooter. What twist did you settle on? Post some pics when you get time. We all like pics. :wink:
Later
Ray P[/quot

Tried to post a pic,but can't get it to work.Can't remember if I have ever posted on this Fourm.
Thanks Ray.Still working on finishig loads,but it is a shooter.The Vais muzzle brake doesn't require ear muffs,and at 14 3/4lbs,no recoil.Could easily shoot it hundreds of rounds a day.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Great Job! I am going to have to get to work on a rifle. I would love to make a shot like that. I sold my .243 fo a friend and have been having fits with my heavy 204. I sent away for another stock but it won't arive in time for my squirrel trip. I am leaving in the morning to give skippy a hard time. Good job on the shooting I hope to get some long shots in soon.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Thanks everybody. Good luck with your Hart .243 AI Joe. This prompted my dad to sell a scope and get a Kreiger .243 AI barrel for his 22-250 :lol: We shot it las night and were getting 5 shots into about an inch with a 15-20 mph cross wind. The remarkable thing was that in each group we had 3 shots in under a 1/4", so I guess the wind just lined up perfectly for those shots. Anyway it looks to be a shooter. So far I have taken 3 more chucks at 618, 450, and 380.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up