LOCATING COYOTES....

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Daniel Brothers in SC

LOCATING COYOTES....

Post by Daniel Brothers in SC »

Hey Guys... and Girls..... what is the best way to locate coyotes in your area....? Last night I drove around some farm country here in Sc and stopped here and there and played my Johnny Stewart 612 tape caller out into the darkness, playing their howling/pack tones. I got a few different packs howling back... which is great... but are there other ways to locate them...?
Is howling the best way...? I heard someone say they use a siren... anything to that....? Is there a GOOD way to locate them in the daytime....? I guess what I'm saying is this...... If you came to my area for the first time.... how would you go about locating them...? If you have any real experience hunting these critters.....then come on over for a few days and we'll chase the heck out of them. If you can't come... then PLEASE SEND YOUR TIPS. I'll dedicate my first coyote to you...LOL. thanks.....Dan dbrot7@cs.com
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: LOCATING COYOTES....

Post by Hotshot »

Well Dan, I guess you have to hear them or see them to be sure they are in the area. It's hard for a coyote to resist a howl because they are very territorial. If you can find tracks that would be as good as seeing them to know they are in that area. I never thought of the siren thing, but dogs sure howl when they hear them. We don't have many coyotes in this area anymore---we elected them to office and sent them to Washington DC.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Sirens work. But the naighbors won't know if its you or the coyotes if you use the howling tape. I have coyote in the wash behind my house that howl every time a siren goes off. When I go out locating at night I play the howling tape and have found coyote sleeping in the shrubs in front of peoples front yards howling back at me. I travel down roads at night stoping and playing the tape to locate where packs of coyote are at if you do it several night or through out the year you will find that they have places that they stay for weeks at a time leave and return to. Then you need to skirt around the edges of these areas and try calling them out but stay back aways so you don't run them out call from a 1/2 mile away or so. If you kill one to close they will leave the area for weeks before they return. If you hunt them to often they will get to know you and not respond to your calls. They are very fast learning dogs don't educate them.
Big Horn Barney
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 VTR 527 CZ varmint .204

Post by Big Horn Barney »

Dan, our county trappers (4)here use a siren to locate coyotes. I have been out with them and it is very effective.
Daniel Brothers in SC

Post by Daniel Brothers in SC »

Quote.....we elected them to office and sent them to Washington DC......
They are not coyotes.... they are skunks...... you gotta know your office varmints.

The other night when I tried the howling pack from the truck.... I got different packs to howl back..... and later on got a lone howl from a different area. I only heard them after turning the player off after about 30 seconds.... after hearing them.... I turned it back on.... and the all shut up...... never heard them again...... WHY...?

I got a LOUD SIREN yesterday at the flea market.... will try it this week at night... BUT.... do you think they will howl at it in the daytime...?

I've seen their tracks.... and heard them howling during deer season.... I know they are there.... but not sure how to locate them during the day...other than trying calls... it would be a big boost of confidence to know they are in the area before setting up.

Thanks Guys for you tips... keep them coming... or just bring them on over....
Big Horn Barney
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 VTR 527 CZ varmint .204

Post by Big Horn Barney »

A Siren works in the daytime out west here.