2-12-10 Coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

2-12-10 Coyote

Post by Song Dog »

Good friend of mine Chris Allen calls me up and says open invite to come down his way to call. We go to the 1st stand, we pull in an old lane and park in a low spot, got out and took our lights incase it got dark on us, so we could still call. Then we think....now how do we get into it. There seemed to be and opening across the field leading down into a bottom. We started our trek and kicked up a few deer. We start to come up to the opening and there were two coyotes, so down we go. One coyote went down into the bottom (couldn't see) and the other one went up the hill towards our right and at about 300 yards out. We were pegged by that one. He just stayed there and I told Chris, I think we could poke it. Chris had his new 16" AR and I had my 204 CZ. Now, if Chris had his Savage 22-250, I wouldn't think about attempting it, Chris would take the glory in it, he can't miss with it :D . As we were squated down, we finally got guns off shoulders and got ready and the 300 yard coyote was gone. We stayed right there and I started to call and hopeing to bring the other one out of the bottom. It wasn't quite dark yet but we were loosing some light. I glance over to my right and out of the corner of my left eye, I seen a dark spot and it was gone. I looked through my scope and there she was. I ask Chris, do you see it? He says no. She was facing right at us about 125 yards. She blended in really good with the grasses. I only saw her because she had to have had her head down sniffing and I caught a glimpse of her back. As she was facing us, I let it fly and WHACK (love that sound). Hit her darn near right in the middle of her chest, just little to the right. I don't think she lost and once of blood. You can see the enterance of the bullet.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: 2-12-10 Coyote

Post by Clint E »

Thats a good looking dog WTG
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

Good looking dog,congrats! What bullet were you using?
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Good going, Jason. Were you using distress or howls? It seems to me they are responding better to howls right now than distress with this being the mating season.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

I was using an open reed but I was throwing out distress sounds. Didn't do any howls on that one.

Ultralightshooter, I am using the 39 Blitzking.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"