Another "deck" coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Another "deck" coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Today my wife and I were going to visit her parents about two and a half hours away so I didn't go hunting but kept checking my field for any coyotes. Shortly after 7:00 I stepped out on the deck to go get the car out when I looked out into my field to the south and saw a coyote about 80 yards out in the field looking back to the east. I slipped back into the house and grabbed my Marlin .22 magnum I've had since 68' and eased back out the door. The coyote was walking away by this time and was getting out there but I had to try the shot. I took a rest across the deck railing and gave a howl with my voice. The coyote stopped and turned broadside looking my way. I placed the cross hairs just behind its shoulder and just below its back and sqeezed the trigger. The coyote went down like I had shot it with a bigger gun. I quickly bolted another round in and watched to see if the coyote got up but it didn't move. I stepped back into the house and told my wife there would be a slight delay in our departure while I checked out the coyote.

Here is a picture from the deck out to where the coyote was when I shot it. It was about 10-12 rows out to the right of the post out in the field next to the brush. The post has snow on it.

Here's a view from the coyote back to the house.

There was a bullet hole low behind the shoulder so I'm thinking it may have hit her heart the way she went down. I took the rangefinder with me and took a reading on the house and it was 147 yards, not a shot I would normally take with a .22 magnum. I guess I got lucky this time so I better have the 204 handy for the next time if one presents itself.

Last edited by Melvin Eades on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: Another "deck" coyote

Post by Song Dog »

Gotta love that! Nice shot!

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good job! and great shot with the old Marlin 22mag.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Great job! Looks like fun but what's that white stuff on the ground? :huh: :lol: We've had one of the warmest winters on record with only one day of snow in the Portland area! Spring is just around the corner. Gary
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

true sniper fashion! Nice shot. ;)
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Way to "snipe" them from off of the deck Melvin.
Savage Vaporizer