1/22/09 coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

1/22/09 coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

This afternoon was overcast and a light fog where I went to see if I could call up a coyote. We’ve had about five days and nights with fog and warm temperatures. The frost has come out of the ground and it’s really wet and soggy out. I walked about a quarter of a mile back to a field I’ve seen coyotes in before and thought maybe I might get lucky. I haven’t done much coyote hunting yet this season, but what I have done, haven’t had any luck calling anything in.
I went out last Monday morning (company holiday) in the fog and wished I would have stayed home. I couldn’t see 300 yards and the fog was so thick, water was dripping off my gun and fogging over my lens. I went back out in the afternoon and it wasn’t much better.
I was going to sit in a fence row by a large tree and put the FoxPro out in the field into the wind from me. I started walking out into the untilled corn field and was sinking down to my ankles in places and it made me think I might be setting up in the wrong place because the coyotes might not want to get out in the mud for an artificial rabbit sandwich.

I got the FoxPro set up about 45 yards out and then settled into my spot by the tree. The fog was starting to thicken and a light mist was coming down. I waited about 15-20 minutes and then gave some female howls on the FP and heard some coyotes howl to the north about a half to three quarters of a mile away. I waited awhile and then gave some rabbit distress only to have nothing respond.

I sat for a little while longer watching the field and decided to try some more howls. This time I had a group open up to the east of me of across a large creek bottom on the far side. They no more than shut up when I had a group start howling in the creek bottom to the northwest of me about 600-700 yards away and I could tell they were getting closer.
I got my rifle pointed in their direction and waited but nothing showed in the next 4-5 minutes. I gave some high pitched howls with a hand call and caught a glimpse of something at the top of a grassy hill near the end of the field. I cranked the scope up and took a look just as a light colored coyote crested the hill. Behind it came a very dark coyote and an average colored coyote. They looked and milled around but would not come on in. They finally turned and disappeared over the hill. I put the rabbit distress on and started giving some yips on the hand call and all three popped back up over the hill.

They still wouldn’t come on in and one of them lay down and watched my direction. I shut the caller off and kept watching them through the scope. The one laying down got up and all three started stretching and milling around. It was getting foggier and losing light so I decided I was going to take a shot. I had my gun on shooting sticks and settled into the scope to wait till one of them gave me a broadside shot. The lighter one walked away from the other two a few yards and stood broadside. I settled the cross hairs on the top of its back and squeezed the trigger. The coyote dropped on the spot and raised its head one time and died, didn’t even get a tail wag. The other two ran off so I sat for about 15 minutes hoping they might come back to check on their buddy, but they didn’t.
It was getting darker out by now and I decided I better go check out the coyote while I could still see.

The coyotes were on the light colored grassy hill to the left of the gun barrel. I ranged the coyote at 270 yards.

I was shooting my CZ 527 American in .204 with the Sierra 39 gr. B.K.
The coyote had a very light color to it. Here are a few pictures of it.

Here is the exit side of the coyote. The bullet took out both lungs and made an exit wound a dime would cover. It was an average size male.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: 1/22/09 coyote

Post by Silverfox »

Good job Melvin!!! Thanks for the great story and the photos. Keep 'em coming.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

Man you tell the best stories. Great hunt. I think I recognize that spot. Wish I was there with ya. But hey, we plan on coming out as soon as the kids get out of school this summer. Can't wait. I havn't been out hunting much lately. A lot of overtime at work. It's been pretty foggy here lately too. Every night. Take care and thanks again for the story.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

WTG! I'm glad someone is getting out.
Nice write up and shot.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Melvin ..........Thanks for taking us along!! Glade to see the lil 204 shoot flate and true. Great pics.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Great story, Mel. Did you use the set trigger on your CZ to make that shot? I assume that Nikon is a 4.5-14X, as it has the low turrets; do you feel that's enough scope for a situation like that?
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

RowdyYates,

I don't use the set trigger when I'm hunting. I have all of my rifles set at 2.5 lbs so they are the same if I decide to take a different gun the next time. The set trigger on both of my CZ's are set at 8 ounces. A little too lite for me on a hunting gun.

You are correct on the scope. It is a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 with side focus. I also have a 4.5-14 Burris on my 527 varmint and they are enough scope for me. When shooting praire dogs, I rarely go much higher than 12 power due to mirage and I like to watch the prairie dogs through full flight.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Nice song dog Melvin. It sure gives you a nice feeling when you finally settle the scope in on a long distance song dog, squeeze, and instantly watch him drop while looking through the scope. :twisted: Keep the stories coming.
Savage Vaporizer
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Way to go . Its about time someone around here started haveing some luck.Made to stands to day and called nothing in . I did get reminded what an electric fence feels like.didnt get me the first time i crossed but ouch it got me comeing back across. Nice dog keep it up
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good Job Melven. The flat shooting 204 sure helps seal the deal. Its nice to reach out and get one. Thanks for the story and pics I need to get out my self for a try.