Duh! Some times are great notion.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Duh! Some times are great notion.

Post by Critter »

I have a ballistics computer and a portable weather meter that gives me humitidy, wind velocity, temperature, altitude or baro pressure, etc. This along with range data from my laser R/F theoretically will give me the information to adjust my scope for any range to a PD or sqirrel.

Fundamental problem is wind direction or velocity at the shooter's location when shooting at from several to many hundreds of yards can be worthless because it doesn't reflect what is going on at the target. This can be a big problem especially where winds vary on the way to the target.

Today I was walking through the local big box electonic store and low and behold, what did I peruse. A weather station with anamometer, rain gauge, and wind direction detector. Big deal you say, so what?

Well, it occurred to me that moving this instrument down range to near the limit of it's transmitting range, say several or even many hundred yards and posting on a stick driven in the ground could theoretically give accurate down range wind information. The rain guage could be ignored.

The trouble we have is that our varmint calibers, like the .204 have bullets with BCs in the .200 range which is about like a rock. Down range wind information when combined with shooter position data could be averaged and used to improve balistic prediction.

Transmitter range would not be affected by buildings or other impeidiments, so that could improve range. When I was hunting PDs in Winter S.D. a few years back we were shooting pds at 300 to 400 yards in 18 mph winds.

The .260 did very well, the people with the .22 cal centerfires were just kidding themselves. But down range wind info would have been really helpful.

That 6.5 100 grain VHP stil hit really hard at that range even though it had a BC in the low 200s.

Would that be cheating?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Duh! Some times are great notion.

Post by Captqc »

Critter, not a bad idea as guys around here know I love gadgets, but the problem I see is tromping out in the field to set up the gizmo. I wouldn't want to wait for the rats to come back up after they saw you coming. Also, I would have to fight the desire to shoot the wind spinners to see how fast I could make it go! :eek: :lol: Gary
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Captqc wrote: Also, I would have to fight the desire to shoot the wind spinners to see how fast I could make it go! :eek: :lol: Gary
I already thought of that, having witnessed one expert hunter shoot a hole in the leg of his sun cover. So for some shooting partners, I would include a nice piece of HY100 as armor, failing finding a good big rock.

As far as disturbing the rats by walking out, I saw some guys on one hunt, drive out into the field firing automatic pistols at random. That had little or no effect on those birds that I could see, so I don't think my hike into the grass would hurt anything.

:wink:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

A good way to help out with wind direction down range is use a spotting scope. You have to blur the image (CCW on focus knob) just enough and look for the mirage (direction and magnitude). Using mirage, to get the true direction turn the scope until the mirage is going straight up (boiling), thats the direction of the wind. You can use the riflescope too, just be careful where you're pointing it!

More often than not, the wind swirls and changes usually (but not always) in a cycle like a sine wave in a given period of time. As the day wears on, it shifts and it almost always picks up in intensity.

Also, as a general rule, the wind closest to the muzzle has the greatest effect on the bullets path to the target.

Elevation sure plays tricks too. Sighting in @ 440' and then shooting @ 4400' makes some differences too.

HTH,

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Critter: Jim above, basically has it spot-on as you well know. Besides the good optical method Jim mentioned, another way is to just put out wind flags down range. Even a wooden stake with marking ribbon is better than nothing. As you know, I use video light stands with Russ Haydon's excellent wind flags, but I'm loathe to put them out down range for the possiblility of some fool putting an errant round through one of them. Heck, my sunshade even has a bullet nick in it from.....me! (Excitement of combat and all that.....)

OR.....you could use the "Captqc Wind-O-Matic" set out at 500 yards, and check out the readings with your spotting scope! :lol: The only way we can keep him from shooting the spinners on the anemometer is by using HIS unit in the field!

When it comes to wacking rats, there IS no cheating! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails