Remmington 40 GR accu tips

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Remmington 40 GR accu tips

Post by ultralightshooter »

Hey guys, Have any of you ever shot remmington 40 accu tips out of your 204? I'm curious how these shoot and how they perform on coyotes and bobcats? I just wonder if they will shoot differnt out of my 204 then the 40 GR hornady's? Thanks! Any info helps.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Remmington 40 GR accu tips

Post by Captqc »

I haven't tried the Remington 40's because my 700 didn't like the Hornady 40's. I think it has something to do with the 1-12 twist rate but I'll let smarter guys than me comment on that. She seems to like the 39 okay and she loves the 32's so I'll stay with the lighter bullets for now and just bring out the 22-250 when I need to toss a larger pill. Keep us posted if you have any luck. Gary
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

Do these bullets suck or something?
Baja_Traveler
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BTCSS

Post by Baja_Traveler »

LOL - No, they don't suck. It's just that 40 grains is on the upper edge of stability using a .204 1 in 12 twist barrel, some rifles shoot them fine, others don't like them at all - even identical rifles from the same manufacturer are hit and miss. Trying to work up loads for your own particular rifle is the only way to find out...
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .204
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Tried the factory 40's in my VLP and groups were anywhere from 3 to 6". The 32's were fine though.
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

My Sako 75 Varmint (12 twist) shoots the Rem 40gr Accutip factory load into .75" @ 100 yds about every time. A writer gave me 100 rounds when the 204 first came out, and as I shoot handloads only, they never got shot until I was out of ammo for the Sako on a rat shoot two years ago, put up my field target to test the 40's as I had them along, and to my surprise, they shot very well for a factory load...nice round groups. Skippy really hates them. Of course they don't come even close to good handloads though, as that rifle will shoot it's own load into .2 or .3 easily.

They are just V-Max's with a green tip.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

atavuss
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mkll

Post by atavuss »

I used them when it got windy, they seemed to do ok out of my Ruger Mkll. never tried them target shooting to see just how accurate they are. seemed to have good splatter factor on squeaks........YMMV
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

Baja_Traveler wrote:LOL - No, they don't suck. It's just that 40 grains is on the upper edge of stability using a .204 1 in 12 twist barrel, some rifles shoot them fine, others don't like them at all - even identical rifles from the same manufacturer are hit and miss. Trying to work up loads for your own particular rifle is the only way to find out...
You always have to remember that it is not the grains that matter but rather the OAL of the bullet itself. The Vmax bullets are fairly long when compared to other types. I myself shoot the 45grain Hornady SP out of my CZ and they shoot excellent. ( 0.5 - 0.75" groupings at 100 yds). They have proven deadly on our Sask. coyotes over the last two seasons and I will be sticking with them. When skinned out the entrance hole is .20 cal and the exit is just the same. Puts them down hard ( broadside, quartering to or away)and no need for a follow up shot.

So when choosing the correct bullet don't always go by the weight...it can be misleading.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I've loaded them and the hornady's both, can't tell much difference in them. They both shoot good in my 700 VLS. I've heard that hornady makes the bullets for remington, only difference is color of tip. The only thing I've shot with them is ground squirrels. Hope to try them on coyotes soon.