32 GR hornady or 32 GR HSM v-max for yotes

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

32 GR hornady or 32 GR HSM v-max for yotes

Post by ultralightshooter »

Ok i'm sure this has been asked before.How many of you guys shoot yotes and bobcats with 32 GR v-max? Whats the farthest you have taken one with these bullets and do they perform good on them? Any info is much appreicated. Thanks
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: 32 GR hornady or 32 GR HSM v-max for yotes

Post by Silverfox »

Personally, I would not use the 32 gr. V-Max or a 32 grain bullet of any brand on coyotes when there are other, heavier bullets, much better suited to promptly putting coyotes down (and probably cats for that matter). THe 32 grainers are better suited for shooting prairie dogs, sage rats, and gophers.

The 35 gr. FB HP Berger bullets have worked just great on coyotes for me and now I am using the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing bullets with great success too. You might even want to consider the 45 gr. Hornady soft point bullet for the predators you are after.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I haved killed lots of coyotes and Bob cats with the 32gr Vmax! It enters and doesn't come out drops them on the spot. Shot placement makes a difference. My furthest shot on coyote is probably 200 yrds. Most coyotes if called in are with in a 100 yrds. If you are just shooting when you see them it could be along ways. Bob cats are with in 75 yrds. Alot of other calibers could be used. Hunting at night you want the animal dropped on the spot you don't wan't to track it at night. A lot of hunters use the 17 cal. and like it. I don't want recoil in my light rifle I want to see the hit thats one reason I use the 32gr Vmax the other is it does the job nicely. I use the Ruger Ultra light for my night hunting.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

Has anybody shot yotes 300 to 500 yard range with the 32gr v-max and whats your sucess at that range?Thanks
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I've only shot prairie dogs and a few badgers at that distance. My opinion is the 32 grain begins to get unstable in the 450 range and getting predictable performance is lost. My rifles shoot well under 1/2 inch at 100 yards and are deadly accurate still at 400. 450-500 the groups explode in size and it takes luck to make a hit on a pd. I shot 2 young badgers at 520 and the performance was terrible. It took almost 20 shots to make 4 or 5 hits and the low energy delivered at that range almost didn't even bother them. (32 grain sbk's)

39 grain bullets on the other hand seem to be very stable at 600 yards and deliver enough energy to knock pd's over dead. They are very accurate in all 3 of my 204's. I've shot 2 badgers in the 350 to 400 yard range and the bullets didn't exit. A one shot kill and a two shot kill (probably would have died with one but he was still moving so he received another)
I have shot many prairie dogs over 500 yards and a few at 600.

Wind drift and trajectory are very similar to 400 yards(can't tell them apart), but the 39 starts to shine beyond 400 yards in these catagories as well.

So what I took a long time to say is, use 39 grain bullets for your long range coyotes. You'll be glad you did.
WYLDRUCKUS
.204 Ruger Guns: REMINGTON VTR

Post by WYLDRUCKUS »

I'VE TAKEN 2 YOTES WITHIN THE LAST MONTH WITH 32 GRAIN HORNADYS. I LOVE THEM, YOTES HATE THEM! THEY WERE CALLED IN TO ABOUT 100 YARDS AND THAT WAS ALL SHE WROTE. I'D SAY PROBABLY 95% IS SHOT PLACEMENT. THE LAST YOTE I SHOT GAVE ME A BROADSIDE SHOT AND I TOUCHED A RIB AND THE 32 GRAIN HORNADY OPENED UP A 3" ENTRANCE HOLE. IT WAS PRETTY GRUESOME. :eew:

HUNT HARD. SHOOT STRAIGHT. KILL CLEAN, AND APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

32's for P-dogs only! Even the 40's are better left for p-dogs. For yotes or woodchucks try the exellent Hornady 45 gr. Spire point. This bullet is their Interlok except in 204. It holds together-no blow up.