Latest NoDak PD Hunt on 6/12/2009--Pt 1--Graphic Pics

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Latest NoDak PD Hunt on 6/12/2009--Pt 1--Graphic Pics

Post by Silverfox »

I left Williston around 8:22 a.m. and arrived at the first prairie dog town I was going to hunt in around 9:45 a.m. There is a nice grove of trees to park your vehicle in out of the sun, but I had to clear a bunch of deadfall to get into a good spot. I finally got the pickup in place at 10:00 a.m. I proceeded to set out a target box so I could sight in my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger for the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing reloads I was going to shoot. It was sighted in for my 40 gr. Nosler BT load. While I was walking the target box out, the land owner came driving down the two-track trail and began herding some cattle towards the south. He stopped and told me the cattle weren’t supposed to be in this pasture. We talked for a while and I took my Peltor Tactical 7 electronic head muffs and hung them over his outside rear-view mirror. Well, when we said our goodbyes, I forgot to grab my headphones and he didn’t hear me yelling at him, so I had to run to my pickup, and drive about 1.5 miles to catch up to him. He hadn’t noticed them hanging on the mirror and was amazed they had stayed on. I was amazed too, and EXTRMELY HAPPY they had stayed on the mirror.

I shot three shots through the clean barrel on my rifle and it was dead on. Amazing how that happens—your rifle shoots one weight and make of bullet almost exactly to the same POI at 100 yards as a totally different grain weight and make of bullet. I’m definitely not complaining!!!

I began my walkabout at about 10:50 and as I was walking to get out of the tree grove I walked by some old fallen trees and an old rotted tree stump. I heard that very distinct sound of a rattle snake rattle and immediately stopped in my tracks. He rattled again and I spotted him near the old tree stump and now he was retreating under the stump. There didn’t appear to be any way I could get him out, so I continued out of the grove and hiked up the rise to do some shooting.

By 11:30 I had shot 14 shots at distances from 100 to 225 yards. I missed on the first try at 225 yards, but that prairie dog stayed right there and I did not miss on the second shot. I had to allow a tiny bit more windage on that one. I discovered that I had forgot to attach my mirage shield to my barrel and it was getting hot so I decided to let my rifle and gear sit in the shade while I hiked back to the pickup to get the mirage shield. I had to walk near that same place I saw the rattler scurry under the dead stump earlier and I was very cautious this time. There he was, curled up and basking in the sun. I grabbed a sturdy dead tree branch for defense but by the time I found the branch, he was disappearing under the stump. I used the dead branch to clear away some of the debris and dragged him out from under the stump. Man OH Man was he mad. He had his jaws wide open and was striking at the stick. I let him out from under the stick and promptly applied about eight or nine sharp blows to his head. Now he wasn’t mad any longer—just DEAD.

Here's a photo of him stretched out on a prairie dog mound.

Here’s a close-up photo of his rattles.

I did cut off the rattles and will work the meat out of the first segment of them and keep them as a reminder to be on the watch for rattle snakes even in tree groves. That was a pretty exciting encounter and I could tell that my heart beat rate was up there pretty high.

Sorry folks, but it is late at night and I’m leaving on vacation tomorrow, so I’ll finish this story when I get back. Sorry to leave without finishing the tale, but I need some sleep so I can make the long drive tomorrow after church. Wait a minute, I'll post just one photo for those of you who like the RED MIST views I sometimes post.

This little pup was part of a double I got. He was right near an adult PD and I shot him and the bullet also took out the adult. I was using my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger on this shot and my 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing hand loads. Those bullets were really tearing up the prairie dogs.

OK, now I really have to get some sleep. I'll post the rest of Friday's tale when I get back. By the way, 43 years ago, on June 12, 1966, my wife and I got married. What a way to celebrate your 43rd anniversary. Yes, my wife was just fine with me going PD hunting. She had to work anyway.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Latest NoDak PD Hunt on 6/12/2009--Pt 1--Graphic Pics

Post by Glen »

I don't like snakes & I'm glad we have only a sighting or two each year around where I'm at. It's too cold for them around here.

Congratulations SF!! 43 years & counting!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Silverfox,

Congratulations on your anniversary and thanks for sharing your hunts and pictures with us. It's alway interesting. Good stories without the subscription!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Silverfox, thanks soooooo much for killing that rattler! :D I hate snakes like crazy! Congrats on your anniversary! Look forward to the rest of the story when you get back from vacation. Gary