What is the most Fur-friendly bullet?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

What is the most Fur-friendly bullet?

Post by venison_burger »

Hello all,
This is my first day registered to the site. I've got a remington 700 in .204 on the way and can't WAIT to start handloading for it. My question is: which bullet is the most fur-friendly on coyotes and fox? After seeing some of the pictures on this site of 32 grain bullets ripping enormous holes in the sides of coyotes, i've began wondering what my options really are.

I killed one coyote in North Dakota two weeks ago with my best friend's .204 using a factory 40gr VMax which didn't exit the coyote shot at a little over 100 yds.

I've heard Berger 35 gr generally stay in the animal?

Does anyone have experience shooting red fox with the .204?

Thanks in advance, and I love the site!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: What is the most Fur-friendly bullet?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

VB: First off, welcome to the site....good to have you aboard. I like your screen name too...speaks volumes of the man behind it. ;)

The general consensus is that the Berger 35gr is about the most fur friendly bullet coming from a 204R on coyotes. Some have decent luck with the Sierra 39grBK, but the Berger 35 seems to have the largest following here and on other forums. I don't see much posting about red fox here with the 204, so maybe others will chime in regarding that critter....we don't have 'Ole Renard around these parts. Guys I know in the midwest that shoot fox use 17 Mach IV's with 20 or 25gr bullets to avoid the fur damage.

Congrats on the new rifle....you're never going to look back.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Definately try the 35 gr. Berger, but try to keep velocities under 4000. Once we got ours over 4000fps, it wasn't as fur friendly. You could also try the 40 Nosler, or berger, those are alright on fur. I've never shot a red fox, so I couldn't tell you about that.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Post by venison_burger »

Thanks guys, I guess I'll be forced to try them all.. :D darn. It seems to me the smaller rounds would be better, but maybe they just need to be loaded down a few notches so the hign velocity doesn't punch the hole all the way through? I also see in my Midway book here that Berger makes a 30 grainer, but I don't think I've seen anybody loading those in the "favorite loads" page. I also haven't heard anything about the 26 grain vermint grenade. Maybe I'll try those out as well...

Thanks again for the help, I can already tell this site is going to be a great resource for me.

-Ben
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

VB: The V-Grenade and the 30gr Berger really have crappy BC's, especially anything under 30gr in the .204 bore. For that reason, they are not much good past 250 yards as the velocity really sheds quickly, and the heavier bullets started out slower will actually "catch" them around 200 to 250 yards.

The various 32's have fairly thin jackets, hence the violent terminal performance. They really are intended for PD's and squirrels, giving total and complete destruction.....seen it up close, and it has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. ;)

For coyotes, you really don't need to try them all, start with the 35gr Berger, and most likely you'll be set. Accuracy is usually always quite good too, but if you're looking for heavier bullets for dogs, give the 39gr Sierra BK a try, as most 12 twist 204's seem to shoot it very well compared to the various 40 grainers.

Late Edit: Check this post....confirms the above... http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6209
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails