Big female

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Big female

Post by Melvin Eades »

This morning I went to watch over a field that is between two big creek bottoms and the coyotes will cross this field going from one bottom to the other. I've been wanting to take out my M77 Ruger in .220 Swift for a while since last month was it's 30th birthday and it hasn't been out of the safe for four years. I got to the field before first light and sat in a fencerow with a north wind in my face.

Shortly after it got light enough to see, I looked to my right and a coyote was walking toward me along the fence row about 35 yards away. Normally they cross the field about 60 to 100 yards out. I tried moving real slow to get my gun up and swing around but the coyote saw me but wasn't sure what it was looking at with a tree between us that the farmer had cut and left in the field. It stood and looked for about 10 seconds and started milling around again. I started to complete my move and it saw me again and started to walk out into the field and away from me. I had to wait for it to clear the limbs on the tree and just as it stepped out for a clear shot, it looked back over it's shoulder.

It was now quartering away and I put the cross hairs on the back of it's ribs and touched off a 50 gr. V-MAX. The coyote didn't jump or spin, it just turned and ran as hard as it could for the timber and disappeared. I started wondering if I hit a limb on the tree that I couldn't see through the scope. I sat for another 40-45 minutes and decided I would go over and see if I could find it's tracks and see where it went.

I stood up slowly and looked all around for a while to see if anything else was around. It was lighter out now and I thought it looked like a blood trail where the coyote had run off but I didn't think I would be able to see one at that distance. I made my way over to where the coyote was when I shot it and found this.

I looked up and saw this.

Looking for tracks wasn't necessary, all I had to do was follow the blood trail and saw the coyote up ahead. The bullet disintegrated and blew out it's chest leaving a hole I could put my fist into. The coyote was the biggest female I've ever taken weighing 37 lbs.

I'm going to give the Swift a good cleaning and put it back in the safe till maybe it's next birthday. I'm thinking about taking my .243 or 6MM out next since they haven't been out of the safe for a long time, but I sure like shooting my .204's
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: Big female

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Wow! They can be tough. Good going.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

That one pics really showes the trail, I mean BLOOD TRAIL :eek:
Yep, that swift sure opened her up.
WTG

Off topic, I just about got attacked last night by a coon. I shot it at 15 FEET with the 204. No blood at all.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

That's the most awesome blood trail I've ever seen! Wonder how much she weighed before she lost the several gallons of blood. :eek:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

bullfrog,

I had the same thought. I took a piece of corn stock and opened her up to see what damage the bullet had done and the only thing I found of her lungs were some little pieces. She was to bloody to do much looking. I also found pieces of what looked like lung where she was standing when I shot her. I haven't even seen that big, wide of a blood trail on deer.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

You didn't see blood flowing as it was running away? That's one of the boldest blood trails I've ever seen.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Blood trail!!! Maybe blood river. Awesome.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Melvin: Great story as always, and all I can say about that dog is.......gotta love the Swift! It amazes me how tenacious coyotes are, and this one really illustrates just how tenacious they really are. Can you imagine any other mammal actually being able to run that far with the engine room totally destroyed and sprayed all over the ground? Me neither!

Nice of you to "exercise" the old girl on her birthday. I've got her cousin here, but in Varmint configuration. Reading your story makes me want to take mine out soon for a stroll in the desert. I only shoot 55gr BT's in mine, having once totally destroyed a small coyote with a 50 grainer years ago. I figure the 55's are better for long range, but would never hesitate to pop one as you did up close and personal.

Thanks for posting.....more great pics and story from "Mr. Coyote"! :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Rick,

When I get the 50's shot up that I already have loaded, I'm going to the 55's since I'm shooting 50's in my 22-250 and 39's in my .204's.

dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

WOW, you sure tore him up. Don't let PETA see him, they'll be upset to see someone kills animals with more gruesome results. Actually, I think their record is still safe. Great job.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener