A light coated coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

A light coated coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Last night I called a landowner near here to ask about coyote hunting since deer season is over. He said it would be ok and that his grandson, Seth, had also been doing some hunting and would like to go along with me. Lucas and I had already made plans to start the morning at another location but after a phone call to him, he wasn't going to be able to go so I called Seth back to see if he wanted to go. I had never met Seth and he didn't know me but after a brief conversation on the phone we had made plans for the next morning.

I met Seth at his grandpa's at 6:00 am and we introduced ourselves to each other and made a plan. We drove north of the house and part way down a field road and parked the truck. We walked in from there to a small creek bottom to the east where I set up Bob, my coyote decoy, on a small levy so if anything came along they would see him easily. My plan was to set the FoxPro down with Bob since the wind was from the south and we could sit up on top of a hill to the north by a tree to keep our scent from blowing up the bottom. Seth had his Savage M12FV in 22-250 and I had my CZ 527 American in 204.

We sat quitely as we waited for enough light to shoot before starting to call. Due to the set up I planned to use the FoxPro so all attention would be directed toward Bob and not on us sitting in the open by the tree. Bob was about 80 yards away down at the bottom of the hill and south of us where if anything came from the north we would be back far enough to not get scented.

Well....things don't always work out the way one plans. I started the FoxPro with some lonesome howls and noticed right away it wasn't sounding right. It's always clear and this time I heard a little breakup in the howl. I knew then the batteries were going dead. I waited awhile and tried the rabbit distress and it wouldn't make a complete cycle. We sat and waited for a few minutes and then I used a handcall a few times and waited. Where we were sitting, I couldn't see the bottom of the hill in front of us but I had planned on anything coming would be headed for Bob with the FoxPro.

Still didn't see anything so I gave some pup distress and waited. The sun was about to hit us so I rose up on my knees slowly to see over the edge of the hill and just as I did, I saw a pair of ears coming up the hill to my front and left. I squatted back down and got my rifle up to my shoulder and slowly raised back up on my knees again. The coyote was looking around for the sound and I took a quartering in shot at about 45 yards. There were a few weeds between me and the coyote, but if I didn't take the shot now I was afaid it would come up the hill and get our scent.

I heard the "whack" of the 39 gr. SBK and the coyote turned and disappeared around the hill. I was hoping that the bullet didn't hit a weed and start breaking up before it hit the coyote. Seth and I tracked the coyote down to a fence through the snow where it crossed and it's tracks mixed in with other coyote tracks. I went south and Seth went north along the creek. He found it shortly laying dead just over the creek bank. It was a 29 lb. female with a very light, reddish blonde coat.

Seth and I.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: A light coated coyote

Post by Song Dog »

Awesome. What did Seth think? Did you guys hunt around his grandpas?
If so I heard many packs howling in and around that area last night. THERES MORE :D

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: A light coated coyote

Post by dancindave89 »

Seth's gun set up looks a little familiar. I bet you found another hunting buddy. Thats a nice looking yote. Ben and I have gone with the Silver Creek club a couple times this year. I got one with Ben's 20 guage the first week, and Ben got a piece of one the next week.

If your planning on comming out p-doggin this year, you shouldn't need to get a motel room. We should have a place at mom's you guys can stay.

Catch ya later.

Dave
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener