Mt. Lion Encounter in Oregon (Pics)

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Mt. Lion Encounter in Oregon (Pics)

Post by Rick in Oregon »

A friend stopped by yesterday to tell me of his ordeal with a large Mt. Lion (cougar) he and his girlfriend had the other day. They were on their horses not far from here, collecting mule deer and elk sheds. They stopped at the base of a large escarpment to tether the horses.

My buddy, John, always goes into the outback armed. This day he had his S&W Model 60 .38 Spl on his belt with 158gr cast semi-wadcutters. In his saddle scabbard was his Ruger Mini-14, loaded with factory 50gr varmint loads (mistake).

Anyway, they notice a cave enterance nearby. John goes up the rocks to the top of the rimrock to look around, about then his girlfriend, Heather yells "John.....COME HERE!" He quickly got to the edge of the rimrock, looked at Heather's eyes as big as saucers, pointing to the cave enterance. John looked down, heard a low growling, and saw the head and shoulders of a LARGE lion not 12' away from Heather in the "pounce" postion that cats assume when ready to strike. Knowing he'd never get to his rifle in time, and Heather being frozen in terror, he drew his .38, leaned down as quietly as he could, and shot the cat in the top of the head from about 8' away, straight down.

This is the enterance to the cave (you can see the rope & noose mentioned later):

The cat immediately whirled about, and shot back into the cave seemingly unhurt. John climbed down, got out his flashlight, and shone it into the cave to see if the cat was dead. Here's what he saw staring back at him:

The cat was NOT dead by a long shot, now giving a low growling sound, threatening them, and in pain. John knew he hat hit the cat, as the shot was only about 8' away when he pulled the trigger, but the cat was very much in a bad mood by this time. John then had Heather hold the flashlight, then put some Federal 125gr Hydra-Shock's into the Model 60, then proceeded to shoot the cat two more times from about 15' away at the cave enterance.

The cat STILL would not die, and really not wanting to torch off a .223 in close quarters, reluctantly went to his horse and pulled out his Mini-14, had Heather again hold the light, and aimed for the cats left eye shining in the light to put it out of its misery (he had a cougar tag in his possession).

He hit the cat, killed it dead, but could not fit his large frame into the cave, so Heather was elected to take a rope with a noose tied to the cat, secure it over his head while John dragged the cat from the cave. Here's some shots taken of the big old boy:

The Fish & Fur biologist here said the cat was one of the biggest he'd seen in many years, he weighed 176 lbs, and was having a good diet of deer and elk in his area. John found the expanded 125gr HP's never penetrated into the cats vitals due to the heavy chest and shoulder muscles. (John also never sets the digital date on his camera...NOT the actual date, as this was only a couple of days ago.)

John is going to have the cat mounted in his den, along with some other neat mounts that includes another cat, and a huge full body mount of a very large black bear killed here also. Here's the cats skull, note the large "bite" muscles that power those teeth: (about 4-times the bite power of a pit bull)....

This compares the cat to an average lion skull. You can see this was a big boy:

Here's the damage the .223 did in the left eye. The first .38 bullet hit off center of the skull, and was found lodged in the lower jaw.

Here's the cats paw pad, claws retracted. My hound, Rose is sniffing the kitty, but was NOT involved in the ordeal in any way, home with me, sleeping on the couch while all this was happening:

I thanked John for getting this cat, estimated to be 7 years old. He had been feeding on "MY" deer and elk in the area I usually hunt. John said the next day he saw numerous deer tracks at the base of the rimrock near the cave enterance, where prior to that, no deer or elk tracks could be found anywhere. Seems the "food item" critters had already noticed the absence of the cat.

This is yet another example of why when we're out in the outback, we should always pack a suitable sidearm in a major caliber (not a .38, but better than nothing), as these cats will stalk you, pounce before you know they're even there. My S&W Model 29 Classic .44 Magnum with 3" barrel & unfluted cylinder is one of those companions, loaded with 250gr SWC hard cast "Kieth" bullets, goes with me on a regular basis. This load gives complete penetration on every critter I've ever shot with it.

Ahh, I can't wait to get "back out there".......Here kitty kitty....... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Re: Mt. Lion Encounter in Oregon (Pics)

Post by rpknaz »

What an awesome cat!!! :eek: With any luck his DNA got pssed down at least a few times. By the way, I thought the cats don't attack people. :roll: Glad he got there in time, that could have bad. :shock:
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Dayum!!! That is one sweet cat!! Thanks for sharing the story & the pics Rick!!

rpknaz-- California cats don't attack people. :wall: :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

rpknaz: I'm sure his DNA has been spread pretty well. In the estimated five or six years he's been lurking in that area, I'm sure he's 'had his way' with more than one female. There's still at least one female hanging around the den. In another week, John is headed up again to see if he can find her. The tracks don't lie; she's been around there for a while, probably this old boys mate.

Glen: Yeah, in Kalifornia, only people attack people! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

rpknaz

Post by rpknaz »

Glen wrote:rpknaz-- California cats don't attack people. :wall: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lmao:
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

WOW great story appreciate you sharing.....I got a glimpse of one in the wild once and that was enough for me.....not alot in our area.....
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
duker33
.204 Ruger Guns: 2- savage 12 bull brl 204 ruger 26" left hand

Post by duker33 »

WOW great story i guess you could say i would have needed a new pair of boxers after all that would love to have a shot at one ofthem someday
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Awesome story. Great job to your buddy Rick.
takes me back.

Also you confirmed my fears of the .38 special. that is the only hand gun I own, and I always assumed it was a little small for big cats and bears. Hmm...how to tell the wife my "gun's i need" list just grew?
I haven't crossed any cat tracks yet this year, but I have been hearing good success from others around the state. We really need to put the hurt on those suckers.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Wish we could shoot them here in california we have too many. Great story and pics rick.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Medic52: I've had them stalk me while elk hunting in black timber. It sure raises the hair on the back of your neck. I've only had brief glimpes of them skulking through the trees, never been able to get a shot off, but always carry a cat tag "just in case". I have no fears that my .338-06 Ackley with a 210gr Partition would do the job. The M29 .44 Mag is always with me when out and about and not actually hunting big game....again, "just in case".

duker33: Yep, the referral to a fresh set of boxers was also mentioned by my buddy John. His girlfriend probably needed a fresh set of panties, considering how close the cat was to her, all ready to pounce. Not a good feeling for anyone, being the "food item" dejour.

bullfrog: Consider telling wifey that the "new gun" is an absolute necessity to make sure you keep coming home to her. You've had 'close encounters of the cougar kind', and know what I mean.

steve: The idiot liberal/bunny-huggers here in Portland passed a law that forbids hunting cats with hounds a few years back. The rest of the entire state did NOT want it, and now we're overrun with the dang things, and our deer, elk, and pronghorns have taken a real hit. You're not the only state with idiots running the game laws, we have our share here too. Want to take ours off our hands to add to your collection? :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Wow! That was one big kitty :eek: I'm going out to buy me a S&W 500 after seeing this post. Anybody want to buy a 38? :shock: Gary
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

WOW!!!!

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
rpknaz

Post by rpknaz »

bullfrog wrote:Also you confirmed my fears of the .38 special. that is the only hand gun I own, and I always assumed it was a little small for big cats and bears.
Yeah, I know a guy who treid to kill himself with .38 special. He put the gun under his chin and pulled the trigger. :eek: The bullet stopped at the roof of his mouth. Lucky for him. I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk when I'm out. I have others but I want the biggest handgun I have just in case. :D I would carry my Kimber but it is way to pretty. :lol:

Bullfrog is that your cat in the pic? Very nice. I have my tag for this year, hope I get the chance see/shoot one.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Post by Wiiings12 »

Holy Cow! What an experience! I can't even imagine myself in that situation, let alone taking pictures of heck itself.. yikes.. Nice cat though!
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bullfrog: I was just at the grocery store, saw the current issue of 'Handgunner' on the shelf, and spied an article about "Trail Guns". I cruised the article, saw mention of friend, Clint Smith, and Clint also has "cat issues" in his remote Thunder Ranch area here in Oregon. Guess what his daily "outback carry gun/caliber" is? You probably guessed right, it's his old Model 29, 4" .44 Mag. My friend Garth who sees Clint more than I do has commented to me that Clint almost always carries that old Smith while on the ranch.

Clint is a highly decorated Special Forces combat vet of multiple RVN tours, and has really 'been there'. The fact that this is his cat caliber of choice should say it all. Now you have the right info for that new gun and caliber that your wife is now sure to approve! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA