Is the 204 enough as a full time coyote gun.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Is the 204 enough as a full time coyote gun.

Post by Va varminter »

I am looking for a coyote gun. I am looking at 223s and 22-250s just for the fact that I trust 50-55 grain bullets over 39 grain sierras. Can anyone convince me otherwise. Because I love my 204.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
K22

Re: Is the 204 enough as a full time coyote gun.

Post by K22 »

If it's not, then I've been in trouble ever since 1971, when I bought a 17Rem and have used it as a dedicated Coyote/Fox rifle. With handloads the 17 is more than enough, so I would think that with handloads, the 204 would be more than enough. Bullet design and shot placement is more of a determining factor, more so than caliber when dealing with 17 to 22 calibers.

Ballistic wise, the 204 is on par with the 22-250 and if memory serves me right, it has less wind drift. But I will let the ballistic experts go into all of that. I do know that the Berger bullets are superb in the 204 as they are in the 17Rem.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

I primarily use my .204 as my varmint gun (coyotes, badgers, bobcat). I've only had one "runner" that I didn't recover among about a dozen coyotes and that was due to bad shot placement. It was running up the opposite side of a canyon and I hit it to far back at about 300-350 yards. Last week I hit one a little to far back at about 340 and she only made it 75 yards before piling up. It'll do just as well as the 22 cal's. Only thing I don't like is it's small for mt. lions so sometimes I'll borrow my dad's .243 when I think the big cats will be around.
Also, a heavier bullet such as a .24 is probably better on very windy days, but I love my .204 for yotes.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

Got a .204 never looked back.

Researched a 22-250, looked at a .243, was offered a .223 . . . . .

but . . .

204 or bust!!!
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Va,

I have a 22-250, .220 Swift, .243 and 6MM but I take the .204 all the time except for a hunt or two I take the 22-250 just so I remember why I like shooting the 204.

Stick with the heavier bullets and you will kill coyotes just as far as you will with the 22-250 in my opinion and personal experiences.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I've killed quite a few coyote and I settled on the 32gr V max. It goes in and doesn't come out drops them on the spot. I have used the 40gr Vmax. 223. and 243. calibers. the 204 is a great gun for coyote one reason is there is no recoil so you see your hits. I am sure the 17 cals are fine also. What ever caliber you use will work but low recoil allows you to see your hits.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I am down to two varmint/coyote calibers - 204 with 40 gr VMax and 223 AI. Would not hesitate with either, ever.
sniper model 12

I have a Savage mod 12 with a pillared tupperware stock. From factory, the rifle weights 8.5 lbs. I cranked it up with a Lupy scope and added some weight (14 lbs total now) which dropped the felt recoil from 3.5 - 4 ft/lbs to 2 ft/lbs. This is effective for bench. The weight is removable in small amounts so that I can make adjustments when ever I want.

With the factory rifle (and factory weight) I have taken shots freehand at 200yds on 20 oz pop bottles with excellent accuracy. Its fun to SEE THE BOTTLE EXPLODE ! :eek: :twisted: I can't get that outta my buddy's .30 cal or 25-06.....

I've taken coyotes that were comparable to German Shephards in size. . . . and I've never had a disapointing moment.

Try one and see what ya think. . . check out some videos. . . . If its not for you, you can always re-sell....
Ralph Waldo Emerson
xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

I agree with all of the other posts! The .204 is the best gun on the market. I feel there isnt any other cartridge out there that is more accurate than the 204 (That is up to 400 yards with the right load, but wind starts killing you at this distance). I own two .204's (Ruger and Savage) and only one 22-250. I already sold my bushmaster .223, remington .243, and will continue to shoot the 204 from here on out. If you like to see coyotes drop after shooting and prairie dogs fly ten feet in the air, stick with the .204!

Good Luck
howler

Post by howler »

the 204 can be a full time coyote gun for sure, but I'd look for a different bullet than the 39 serria blitzkings, :chin: they have a history of splash wounds :mad: and I've experanced it myself I'd either go with the 35 grain Berger HP's or the 32 V max's :mrgreen:
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I have to agree with old howler that the 35 gr. FB HP Berger is an excellent fur saving bullet. However, my experience on about a couple dozen coyotes with the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing bullets is the opposite of howler's. I have NEVER had a splash wound (knock on wood). Distances of those shots have been from about 40 yards on out to 275 yards, give or take a few steps.

The 35 gr. Berger is at a slight disadvantage in the wind deflection and drop departments on the looooong shots in the wind. However, if you know how your particular load shoots and practice with it, even the 35 gr. Berger will put the fur down on those windy days. For me, I use the 39 gr. Sierra all summer long in the prairie dog towns. All the practice I get on shots all the way from about 25 yards on out to 350 yards or so with that bullet in the summer gives me plenty of confidence with that bullet for use on coyotes. And like I mentioned, I haven't experienced any splash wound problems with it--yet!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
sniper model 12

I shoot the Vmax 40 gr Horns and occasionally the 45 gr SP Horns. Never had a problem. Some people have had issues with the "accuracy" of the 40 grainers. . . . my accuracy is 3 shots inside a nickel at 100 yds and 3 shots inside a silver dollar at 200 yds with a 3-9x40 lupy scope. In the photo, the 34 grain round is the Winchester JHP.

Another caliber that I've researched a bit that would be great for varmits is the 25-06. It has a flat trajectory and a fair deal of energy deposite with the right rounds. The concern for most who do serious varmit hunting is the hide damage done by the wicked hollow point rounds. Another issue that I deal with alot is the risk of through and through hits. This may lead to a ricochet.

I get into suburban areas where pets, people, and livestock are in the immediate locale. The 204 WILL NOT RICOCHET like most large calibers such as 270, 300, 308. . . and even 223, 243. There are exceptions to this rule. But, I've put this little 20 cal round through the paces to see what could happen if I screw up. As the round passes through tree leaves it will frag. I've also put it through 3/16 inch thick steel plates without a hitch (bullet frags after pass through).

I love the 204!!

eric
Ralph Waldo Emerson
sniper model 12

Here's a pic of 2 inch thick lexan plastic. A college buddy works for a gov research facilty that was using lexan in some tests. He sent me some chuncks to through lead at. I beat some pieces with a ball bat with little damage visible. Others, like the one in the pic was filled with holes. Nothing but 204 was used. 100 yd distance. Three different rounds: 34 gr Win JHP, 40 gr Vmax, 45 gr SP Horn.

Life starts with .204
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

YOU BET YA IT IS..............Never look back
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Red

Post by Red »

Va varminter wrote:I am looking for a coyote gun. I am looking at 223s and 22-250s just for the fact that I trust 50-55 grain bullets over 39 grain sierras. Can anyone convince me otherwise. Because I love my 204.
I thought the same thing until 2004 when I bought a 204. I was a die hard 22-250 guy and now I don't even own one. The 39 or 40 grain bullet is my choice over the 32's (JMO). Not nocking the 250 or the 223, but the 204 works just as well. Try it, you'll like it.