Washington Coyotes

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Guy M

Washington Coyotes

Post by Guy M »

Made a rug out of my biggest coyote - measures 60" from tip of nose to tip of tail.

Whacked another one today with a 115 grain Berger VLD from my .25-06 Remington 700 CDL. Shot was at 154 yards, offhand. Silly coyote stopped to look at me...

Regards, Guy
KIM204
.204 Ruger Guns: kimber pro varmint 204 ruger

Re: Washington Coyotes

Post by KIM204 »

Guy, what part of wa. are you in?
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

In Wenatchee, about 100 miles north of Yakima.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Guy, nice rug! That's a nice set-up you've got. Thanks for the pics. :D Gary
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Guy.............nice yote rug!! Wish you luck on those 115 Bergers in the 25/06. I've loaded for a friend both H-4831 and R-22, R-22 prints a tighter 3 shot groups.
Let us know what think on the 115 Bergers.
Bad exit wound on the yote you shot with the Berger?
Thanks for sharing and the pics.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Ray P, I read a lot of info on hunting with the Berger VLD's last year and decided to give them a try, as I'd seen good accuracy in a match grade .308 with them. One of the rifles I wanted to try them in was this .25-06 Rem 700 CDL. I figured with their high BC and good accuracy, they might be a good choice for an open-country rifle used for rockchucks, coyotes and mule deer.

Hogdon had data for a 117 grain bullet, with Retumbo. I just happened to have some Retumbo on hand, so gave it a try and it's working out well so far, producing about 3200 fps and good accuracy for a factory built sporter rifle. I can count on three shots in under 3" at 300 yards, from a bipod. More shots than that, and the skinny factory barrel heats up too much.

The other side of this coyote is one heck of a mess, this was a throwaway hide because of the exit hole. I'd say a third of the far side of the coyote in the photo simply doesn't exist anymore. Yuck!

Am still hoping to try the Berger 115's on mule deer this year - if I can find a suitable buck. Will report on those results, if I get anything. Season opens in a couple of weeks. I'd love to have only one load/bullet for this rifle, for rockchucks, coyotes and mule deer.

Best of Luck to all this hunting season! Guy
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Guy: Nice yodle dog rug there, bud! That's a very nice pale dog you have there.

The results you described with the exit hole reminds me of the yotes I've shot when out after mulies with my pet Win .270. When I moved back up to BC years ago, I knew supplies and components would be an issue, so I purchased a huge quantity of the bullet the rifle shot very well, the 130gr Sierra BT. I've still got a bunch of them, but that bullet has destroyed more coyote pelts than I can remember, but it shure does anchor them on the spot! If it were not for the excellent accuracy it gives in that rifle, I'd have ditched them long ago. Now I prefer the Barnes TTXS for any LR work in the open desert or even for elk in the black timber.

Congrats on the nice rug, and good luck with the mulies this month. I'd be getting ready to go this weekend if I only had a dang tag. (insert pout here...... :? ) We want pics if you score though...... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RLKondo
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF 204

Post by RLKondo »

GuyM,

Great looking rug! Did you make it your self, or did you have a local taxidermist help you out?

I'm a fellow Central Washintonian, don't we have such great area!
Goodluck hunting this next week
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I didn't make the rug. My last contribution to the rug was taking the coyote to the taxidermist. Yedinak made him into a good looking rug. My skinning jobs aren't usually too good, and I wanted a nice rug for my son's room. :D

Yes, I do enjoy living here - and doggone it - I haven't scored on a deer yet this season! Will keep trying for three more days...

Best of luck, Guy