Called in another pair

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Called in another pair

Post by Melvin Eades »

I went out hunting for deer this morning since this is the last weekend for bow hunting deer. I had four bucks come in but all of them were not a very good representation of a Whitetail and I didn't have a buck permit anyway.

I had just gotten home when a co-worker called and ask if I wanted to go coyote hunting and I said sure. We went to a place he hunts and sat on a hill side overlooking a creek bottom. We sat up in the trees behind us in the picture and sat the FoxPro about 50 yards down in front of us along a fence.

I started off with some howls on the FoxPro and then went into the jack rabbit. The caller hadn't been running but a few minutes when two coyotes came running in over a hill out in front of us and a little to my right. Randy was facing to the left to watch the bigger bottom and the pasture we were sitting in. They were both headed straight for the FoxPro and I shot the first one just feet away from it and dropped it right there. The other one ran back over the hill and I couldn't get it called back in.

It was a female and shot at 48 yards with the 39 Sierra B.K.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: Called in another pair

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good Job! What kind of rifles are you packing. I need to get out my self but have been fighting a sinus infection. The snow has come and gone and the sunny weather is here now things are green as can be. I also need to pick up a Fox Pro I am tired of fighting my other remote callers that only work when they fill like it.
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

Another nice looking yote. Great job. I need to get out. This is our last weekend for our late rifle deer season. I can still take a couple does. Just have not had the motivation.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Sweet deal Melvin!! And with a buddy to top it off!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Ryan,

I was using my CZ 527 Varmint in .204 and Randy was using his Ruger Hawkeye in 22-250.

Dave,

Our late winter season for firearms is next weekend. Last year we had a big ice storm during that hunt and next weekend the weatherman is predicting cold weather with teens for lows and highs in the low 20's. I'll take it.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Melvin--It sure doesn't look like you need to travel all the way out to the North DaColder/Montana border to hunt coyotes. You are doing just great right where you are at. Congratulations and a fine job of calling and shooting.

Did the 39 Sierra BK tear some big holes or was it pretty fur friendly?
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Silverfox,

I hit it right behind the shoulder and there was no exit.

DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

Post by DarkNight »

Nice picture Melvin! Hey I saw in the other post that you have inlaws in Champaign.....small world! I'm curious if the coyotes in your neck of the woods come in silently or if they respond to your howls. It seems that most of the ones east of Champaign and up north don't respond to the howls. I was just wondering what you are experiencing.
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

DarkNight,

I've called in coyotes with only howling whether it be with an electronic or hand calls but I've never had one answer me while hunting in the day time. When they have come in by howling only they are usually slow and sneaky.

LilCal

Post by LilCal »

Congrats on the yote Melvin!!! Good Job!!!

LilCal
"Take your kid fishing"