First one for the New Year

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

First one for the New Year

Post by Melvin Eades »

I went out to a place yesterday I'd never hunted before. A lady that owned some land had complained to her neighbor about the coyotes around her place. She said her daughter had seen coyotes chasing a deer through their yard and it was almost a nightly event hearing them howling behind her house. The neighbor was talking to a guy I know and was wondering if he knew of anyone that hunted them. He gave him my name and number and we had a meeting with the lady.

Not knowing the lay of the property, I went out their around 8:00 AM to check it out. The wind was blowing about 15 to 18 mph out of the south, ideal direction since I was coming in from the north. I didn't have the best set up because of the terrain. There was a small grassy patch about 60 by 35 yards between two small draws leading into a bigger wooded draw that ran behind the lady's house. Due to the wind direction, I sat across the draw next to the field so if one came out down wind I could see it before it hit my scent stream.
Since this area had never been hunted, I thought I would try calling different than I usually start. I had the FoxPro sitting in the taller grass in the middle of the patch about 45 yards away.

I started it up with some challenge howls and then went into the jack rabbit. About 30 seconds after I hit the jack rabbit, this coyote came running up out of the draw about 30 yards from the FoxPro. It ran right up to within 5-6 feet of the Pro and stopped and looked at it. The instant it stopped, I shot and dropped him right there, no spin, just drop dead.

He weighed 42.5 lbs., had a very large head, a white tipped tail, dark hair on the front of his front legs and an over all nice coat. I've wanted to get a full body mount of a coyote for a long time and decided this guy would look good mounted. He's at the taxidermist now. I shot him with a Sierra 39 BK. A tiny .20 caliber entrance and no exit. I'll post pictures when I get him back.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: First one for the New Year

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Nice one! ""Good job.""
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Good shootin'

Looks like that feller had been living the good life, I'd like to nail a few in that kind of condition.

That one will make an excellent mount!
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Nice dog ! do you plan on using your mount for hunting or for your game room?
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

steve,

It's going to live in the house so it can watch over some non-hunting relatives while they try to sleep (ha, ha) when they come to visit.
I've got one of these ordered for hunting. https://www.edgebyexpedite.com/home.php?cat=289

I saw this decoy in the new Cabela's catalog, but it's not on their web site. It's supposed to be a fold up type. I called Cabela's and they won't have them for possibly 60 days so I went to this site and ordered it.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Melvin--Congratulations on bagging that huge coyote. That should make a very nice hide for a body mount!! Thanks for the write up and the photos.

Let us know how that decoy works when you get a chance to use it.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

grey white tan black dark brown!! :mrgreen: Thats a nice coyote right there!! Congratulations!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Melvin - I bet it's nice to hunt those "virgin" properties. Do you get to go back and try again?
That dog will make a great mount because of its good size, fur condition, and fur color. A good rep for the species. I will be interested to see how it turns out.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
skunkriver

Post by skunkriver »

WTG Melvin!! Always enjoy your write-ups and pics. Still have 3 more weeks of deer hunting and then "look out" coyotes. Give us some pics and write up of the decoy. Carl
Make good decisions!!!
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Guys,
It looks like the decoy is a 3-4 week delivery. I hope it gets here before the mating season's over.

bullfrog,

I didn't know there were any virgin hunting places around here. I do get to go back, the lady wants me to thin them out. I have to be selective when I hunt there due to wind direction.

Carl,

I have one more weekend here to fill my last bow permit and my son has two, then the next weekend is our "late winter season". We still have some permits to fill so hopefully the weather will cooperate. I have a permit, my wife has one, my son has two and his wife has one yet to fill. My son and I made 30 lbs. of deer summer sausage along with some breakfast sausage and deer brats last weekend so we'd like to make more if the hunting God's are in favor our efforts.

I'm anxious to see how the mount comes out too, but I know I have to wait.

dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

Excellent job Melvin, that is one supurb dog.
I have a decoy I bought a couple years ago from Scheel's sporting goods in Omaha. It is a Renzo's. It is very lifelike past 50 yds. The only problem is putting it up in the winter time. You can't get the stakes into the frozen ground.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener