Day Time Hunt

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Day Time Hunt

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I haven't been able to hunt here in Southern California because of the fire danger when bobcat season opened a fire broke out and I wound up in Lake Arrowhead working on the power lines that burnt down. SO when I finely got home I am a little beat up and can't get the energy to do much. I drove up into the mountains and set up a stand not far from the car I sat on a stool with a try pod and called a bit thinking I will just in joy the evening sun set here in the mountains because nothing is going to happen here mulling over in my mind the better places I could have gone. After a bout 20 minutes I saw a gray post to my right that wasn't there before I stated to reach for my binoculars while keeping an eye on the object. Feeling around I couldn't find them so I just swung the rifle around and looked through the scope there was the tallest bobcat I had ever seen setting so erect it looked like a gray post with my bare eyes at about 80yrds through the scope it was beautifully marked. I started to move the try pod over for a shot with one hand it was hanging up on bushes so I thought to heck with it I'll just take the shot it so close it was watching me any way 80 yrds I missed! It jumped straight up in the air and came down running it was a beautiful cat with nice spots and a white belly gone. I searched until dark to make sure I had missed I saw no sign of a hit. What a waste of good opportunity. Would the cat have run if I set up my try pod maybe. I should have calmed down and made a good shot. It was fun any way. Happy Hunting Guys.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Re: Day Time Hunt

Post by walleyeman »

Don't sweat it, it happens to all that I know of. I find that if I don't think about a shot it happens as planned but the monent one has a bit of time to ponder all heck can break loose.

Next time... up, on and squeeze then ponder over the critter on the ground. ( Just wait the first yote I see this year I will probably not follow my advice and have to re-read my post!)

walleyeman
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: Day Time Hunt

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Here are a few pictures from the fire I had been working on at Lake Arrowhead CA. about 6,500 ft above sea level. a picture of my partner Curtis Pate.ImageImageImage