Cougar rug

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Cougar rug

Post by bullfrog »

Finally got my kitty back from the taxidermist last week. Took almost 2 years, but it was worth the wait. It turned out great. If you are in the central oregon area, look up McLagan's Taxidermy. They did a great job. My son also approved.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Cougar rug

Post by Glen »

THAT is sweeeett!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

All right Bullfrog that is great good looking kid too!
bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

Won't be long and he'll be taggin along behind me in the woods. Can't wait!!!
:wink:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bullfrog: Great looking kitty rug there bud! It turned out most excellent. McLagan's is pretty well known around these parts, and many of my friends have mounts from their shop. That rug will be a conversation piece for many years to come, and always remind you of the day you popped 'Sylvester'.

That's a fine lookin' son you've got there too. A lifelong hunting parter in the making. ;) Thanks for posting the pic.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Bullfrog tell us about the hunt? What rifle did you use? How did you go about hunting a Mountain Lion?
bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

Well, here goes the story as best as I can remember. My buddy and I had scheduled a day to go and find some coyotes to blast, but when the day came the weather was far less than desirable. It was raining when we left the house, and barely cold enough to snow by the time we got out towards the desert. There was only an inch or two of snow on the ground when I slammed the brakes on a gravel road. There were fresh tracks, and I knew they looked to big for a dog.
So we parked the truck and headed out. I had just bought my .204 but grabbed my .270 since we were tracking a kitty. Plus, you can only shoot a cougar with .22 cal and above in oregon.
So we tracked this cat for about 1.5 miles in the nastiest sideways blowing wet snow that you've ever seen. It actually hurt as the snow smacked against our eyes.
Then, as we were fully soaked in and out, the cat jumped from a small cave in the lava rock not 20 feet from me and ran out to about 80-90 yards and stood there looking at us. I yelled cat to my buddy who was on top of the some rocks, and he promptly slipped and fell on his hind end as I was wiping the snow from my scope so that I could pull the trigger on this blurry cat.
I shot free hand and nearly miss hitting her in the leg. There was a small bit of blood in the snow, and we tracked her into another cave about 200 yards away. I poked her with sticks as she growled at me while my buddy had me covered with his gun. Probably not the most intelligent thing I've ever done.
We couldn't get her to come out that way, so I backed off and we waited for about a little while.
Then, when she finally showed her face, we both put a massive end to her life. (we wanted to put her out of her misery, but it probably was a little much. However, I don't like being growled at.) The pictures with us included didn't turn out well, since the camera was soaked, along with everything else. But here is one of where the cat fell.
We split the trophy by me getting the rug, and him getting the skull.
sum-rifle
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M

Post by sum-rifle »

Why was your friend covering you? He should have been covering the cat. I heard those things can be mean!
Graydog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MII

Post by Graydog »

Bullfrog
Great story thanks for shareing with us
Jim Higgs
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix

Post by Jim Higgs »

:D :D thats great you should be happy with that!