ND Coyote Hunt on 12-14-2012--Photos Included

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

ND Coyote Hunt on 12-14-2012--Photos Included

Post by Silverfox »

I got an early start on Friday, December 14 only to run into dense fog. I hadn’t driven on the trail I was planning on taking yet this year and was worried it might be drifted in from some of snow storms we had back in November. There was some deep snow, but the old Chevy Silverado 4x4 made it through. Visibility was only about 100 to 150 yards so once I got to my hunting area I decided to sit it out until the fog lifted a little bit. I watched some grouse feeding in the stubble near my pickup for awhile and then took a half hour nap and the fog was still pretty heavy when I woke up so I took a 20 minute nap. The fog had lifted a bit and I figured I could see about 200 to 250 yards. I decided to get out and give it a try and left the pickup at about 10:25 a.m.

I got my snow camo coat on, got my Pac-Nor barreled .17 Remington out of the case and took off the thread protector and screwed on the suppressor. I locked the doors on the pickup, I chambered a round and put the safety on. I slung my backpack over my left shoulder and my rifle over my right shoulder and I was soon walking to the SW to make my first stand.

The wind was blowing out of the SE under 5 mph and the temperature was about 20º. The first stand found me sitting along a fence line about 100 yards north of the edge of a steep bank that leads down into a big creek bottom to the south. I couldn’t see down into the creek, but I have called coyotes up out of the creek bottom from this spot before. I set the FOXPRO about 40 yards to the south of me. I didn’t like the fact that the grass was quite tall, but I figured I should be able to get a shot at any coyotes that came into my calling. I was using a baby cottontail rabbit sound and also used a sound called Young Lonesome Howl. At about 10 minutes into the calling on this stand, I had just started the FOXPRO on the Young Lonesome Howl and spotted a Gray Ghost’s face peering through the frost-covered weeds off to the right of me about 150 yards SW of my stand. Only its head and neck were visible through the frosty weeds. I immediately muted the FOXPRO and sat very still. The coyote started towards the FOXPRO and I lost sight of the coyote because of a slight depression on the south side of where I had the FOXPRO sitting, plus the vegetation was quite tall too. I could see its ears once in awhile, but then completely lost sight of it. When the coyote appeared again it was to my left and SE of my stand. I needed to shift my shooting sticks, but by now the coyote was coming toward me and even though I moved very slowly, he spotted me moving. He turned around and started a fast walk away from me. I had a bulb squeaker in my left hand and as I was maneuvering my shooting sticks, I squeezed the bulb squeaker a couple times and got my scope to my eye. The coyote slowed way down, but now all I could see through the weeds in the scope was the coyote’s head as it continued to move quartering away from me. I got the crosshairs just in front of the coyote’s nose and squeezed off a shot. I could hear the WHAP as the bullet hit. I got on my Critr’ Call and did my best imitation of a wounded coyote in case this one had a partner that might come in for a look see. No other takers, so I walked out to see the coyote. It was a BIG male and had a nice silky coat. The 30 gr. FB HP Nagel T-000 bullet had entered the coyote’s head just below the right ear and exited out the left ear. Lucky Shot!!!

Here’s a look at the teeth this monster had. It wasn’t the heaviest coyote I have ever shot as it only weighed in at 30.4 pounds when I got him home tonight, but he was in excellent shape. I took some time to do my thing with the camera and snapped a couple photos.

Then, I found a piece of barbed wire and wrapped that around his back legs and hung him upside down on a tall wooden corner post and then started hiking off to the WSW to do some more calling. I planned on making a big circle hike and come back and get my coyote on the trip back to the pickup.

I made three more stands with no takers and got back to my pickup around 2:45 p.m. I was hungry!!! I ate lunch and then drove on some more back roads and through some fairly deep snow to my next stand. That one was a blank too. I drove on some more tough-going roads and made it back to some better, more well-traveled roads. I made one last stand south of a producing oil well from a little ridge above a big stock dam and got skunked there too. I guess I could just as well have packed it up after bagging the first coyote, but I was pretty sure I’d call in a couple more—WRONG!!! The fog did lift completely around 11:30 a.m. and it was a very nice day for a loooooong walk.

Here’s the hero photo:

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
imhntn
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: ND Coyote Hunt on 12-14-2012--Photos Included

Post by imhntn »

At least it started good Leroy! Hope you get a good day in soon where they are running over you.
4JAKE
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington and Savage

Post by 4JAKE »

Beautiful coyote. Great photos. What kind of suppressor did you get? I'm considering that route too.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

imhntn--I really expected to have coyotes running over me last Friday. Oh well, maybe next time.

4JAKE--Yes, I have to agree, that was a nice coyote.

The suppressor is an AAC Ranger II. It was a floor model that my sporting goods store had. When you fill out the paperwork for a suppressor you have to have the serial number of the suppressor in your applicaction and I didn't want to wait for a brand new one to come in so I asked if the floor model was for sale. It was, and I got a small discount. AAC doesn't make the Ranger II any longer, but I think the new model is the Ranger III. If and when I buy another suppressor it will be one made of titanium partly because they are very light in weight. My Ranger II weighs 15 ounces, but some of the titanium suppressors a I have been eyeballing weigh around 10 ounces.

You won't regret getting a suppressor--so go for it.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox