32 v-max for coyotes

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Re: 32 v-max for coyotes

Post by DoubleUp »

Ramos, yes you are correct. She is a pearl of great price. She was Homecoming Queen too about 49 years ago and still beautiful today.:D She asked if I minded the hearts over the holes in my pants from battery acid. I said, not a problem as I don't have an identity crisis in my life.
derrick in missouri
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12

Post by derrick in missouri »

Cant say much on the 32grain for yote but i can say that you must have a zoo of coyote or your hunting a pen. :lmao: :lmao: Just imagine if you could have got the black one and he had the collar!!!!!!!
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

I had a lot of coyotes close to my home this fall that's for sure, but not so much now. I shot them down too low I think. I did have one on camera finally last week. That is the first one since the black one got away. I had killed so many so easily with the 32 vmx that I may have gotten a bit careless on the shot placement and hurried my shot. I can't even begin to tell you how badly I feel about the black one going off crippled to die a slow death. I looked for him for 3 days but it just didn't happen.
Anyway the Dr. has finally released me to go calling and we have a half dozen places that should produce pretty good.
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

I thought I'd give you guys an update. I'm pretty much back about as normal as normal ever was I reckon. I only had 4 opportunities to go calling during Jan. and Feb.,and none of them paid off. Best I could do was manage to get one to answer me. The weather remained unseasonably warm during what should have been our winter hampering those efforts.

Additionally the fall kill I had on my baitpiles failed to continue during Dec. Jan, and Feb. . I only had one other opportunity after crippling and losing the black coyote in Dec. . I just flat out missed an early morning shot on my long baitpile (145 yds). I had been working on a good load using IMR 8208 and 39 sbk's as Silverfox had encouraged me to try them on the coyotes. I had them shooting nice tight groups. I had also just gotten in the first of the 32 z-maxes and was also working on a load for those as well. I decided to shoot the 32 z-maxes at the coyote because I wanted to be the first to see what they would do and report back here. That was Feb. 15th and it was a miss, and I might have missed with the 39 sbk's had I been shooting them.

In the last 3 weeks coyotes have begun visiting my baitpiles pretty regularly and this week I killed two females. I took the first one on Monday night this week and the second one about 6:45 this morning as she headed back toward the woods across the wheat field behind my house. The one on Monday night was 90 yds, and the one this morning was 196 yds on the rangefinder. Both were shot with the 39 sbk's over IMR 8208 with a muzzle vel of about 3,800 fps. Neither of the coyotes moved out of their tracks. The first coyote had a small entrance hole and no exit. On the one today, I couldn't find an entrance or an exit hole, but both of them sounded like jelly inside. The first one pictured is the one I shot on Monday.

Last edited by DoubleUp on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

Very nice! I too have been having trouble getting em called in. This abnormally warm winter has them well fed I think. The one critter I did manage to call in, a red fox, I dropped with a 39gr BK like you have been using. Of course it really hammered him. I wanna see what it will do on a coyote since I haven't shot one yet with my 204, only with other calibers.