Tejon Ranch no lead 141 squirrels 8-3-08

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
LJC
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Tejon Ranch no lead 141 squirrels 8-3-08

Post by LJC »

captgc: I also live off of Durham rd, by the high school. So we are almost neighbors.
Sometime when you have nothing better to do, and you would care to meet
I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Larry
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Larry, PM sent.
Gary
sum-rifle
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M

Post by sum-rifle »

Just got home from Tejon 201 squirrels total. I shot 41 and the 3 others shot the rest. 47 50 and around 70 I believe. Saw a really healthy Spike Buck but no other deer.

I shot real well and the Varmint Grenades in .204 are amazing. One friend shot a .223 with Varmint Grenades and the other 2 shot Savage .22 Magnums. Great day wonderful weather.
woodog

Post by woodog »

sum-rifle wrote:I am loading tonight for another trip Sunday morning to Tejon.
I will take my camera and try to get some photos of Deer, Elk or Pigs.
I am sure I will take a few pics of blown up squirrels too but we have all seen those before.
Will your buddy be shooting lead again? Sounds like Tejon Ranch is not very serious about enforcing the lead ban they started before it became mandatory. Have you found anything heavier than the 26 gr VGs you are loading? I need something a bit heavier for coyotes.

Woodog
San Joaquin Sighthounds
Salukis, Whippets and Greyhounds

Home of the 2005/2006 #1 National Open Field Coursing Grehound - Cucuy
sum-rifle
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M

Post by sum-rifle »

woodog wrote:
sum-rifle wrote:I am loading tonight for another trip Sunday morning to Tejon.
I will take my camera and try to get some photos of Deer, Elk or Pigs.
I am sure I will take a few pics of blown up squirrels too but we have all seen those before.
Will your buddy be shooting lead again? Sounds like Tejon Ranch is not very serious about enforcing the lead ban they started before it became mandatory. Have you found anything heavier than the 26 gr VGs you are loading? I need something a bit heavier for coyotes.

Woodog
I think Tejon is very serious about not allowing lead on the ranch. I do not like it but it is their ranch and they get to make the rules. Now it is State law so I suggest people follow the law. Fight to change it but as long as it is law, obey it.

As far as a heavier bullet, the 6mm/.243 Varmint Grenade is 62 grains I believe. I used to shoot coyotes with a 55 grain Nosler BallisticTip out of my 6mm and it worked like a dream. I am guessing the VG will be fine although I have not killed a coyote with the bullet yet.

If you are only thinking of .22 caliber stuff, the Barnes Triple Shock is expensive but is lead free and comes heavier than the 26 grain Varmint Grenade.