A cautionary note................

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

As far as VLCs go this is them -
http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/xlc/

Varmint Grenades just didn't work for me (at no point did I say they were BAD). Other guys may use them and think they are the cats axx. I shoot alot on the open prairies of eastern CO. After the first few days of shooting the shots come at longer ranges...often in excess of 350 yds. At that range and beyond you want the best that your gun will shoot. Otherwise you are slinging bullets and hoping for hits. At my minimal investment its not that big a deal. I have a friend who drives over 1000 miles to shoot with me....to him it would be a big deal.

Its like anything else, what works for me may not work for you.

In some rifles they may shoot 'lights out' ....neither of them did for me.

Remember my shooting experiences with VGs is so very limited that its hardly a fair assessment. It was just enough for me.

As far as same weight bullets from different manufacturers shooting to the same POI.....I would say out to 100 yds. or so that happens alot.

In .20 cal bullets I have found in my two .204s that 32 gr. Sierras shoot to the exact same POI as 32 gr. Hornadys....way beyond 100 yds.

One other point to make....if in California they are banning lead bullets, at this point in time Varmint Grenades are the "only game in town" regardless.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skb: Again bud, there is a slight error in all of this. Barnes has TWO coated bullets, and I think you're getting them confused. Your link is to their XLC bullet, not a varmint bullet.

XLC: Their standard X-Bullet, blue coated, solid copper, intended for game hunting.

VLC: Their lead core, copper cup HP bullet, blue coated, for varmints only.

As stated earlier, I'm a solid Barnes user, have had excellent results with their Triple Shocks (TSX), their XLC's, and their VLC's, but don't get their Varmint Grenade (VG), copper/tin composite bullet mixed up with their proven performers, which are solid copper offerings. "X" that, "V" that......I know, it's confusing. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ohiyesa

Post by Ohiyesa »

I didnt say anyone here said good or bad about the VG Bullets,,I seen at that Link where 3 out of 3 Shooters said THEY ALL had Extreme Disappointments in the Bullets they shot,,But not ONE shooter came into that Board and said ANYTHING positive about the VG Bullets? and I think THAT amazed me more than 3 people having troubles
There is OBVIOUSLY a Problem with their Product,and it looks to me that they are going to let it go,and the REAL VICTIMS here are the People in
California who HAVE to use this SUB grade Bullet because their Laws say so!
Heck at least we can go back to V-Max or Nosler BT's :D

P.S. I still haven't figured out why I have that Flaming Devil in the Post's I make :?
I am Just an "Ole Country Boy"
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:skb: Again bud, there is a slight error in all of this. Barnes has TWO coated bullets, and I think you're getting them confused. Your link is to their XLC bullet, not a varmint bullet.

XLC: Their standard X-Bullet, blue coated, solid copper, intended for game hunting.

VLC: Their lead core, copper cup HP bullet, blue coated, for varmints only.

As stated earlier, I'm a solid Barnes user, have had excellent results with their Triple Shocks (TSX), their XLC's, and their VLC's, but don't get their Varmint Grenade (VG), copper/tin composite bullet mixed up with their proven performers, which are solid copper offerings. "X" that, "V" that......I know, it's confusing. :D
My bad Rick...you are correct. Too many years of using too many different bullets. Thats why these days I have it narrowed down to a simple few as those of us with CRS have to keep our feet out of our mouths.
Ohiyesa

Post by Ohiyesa »

Are the Hornady V-Max and the Nosler Ballistic Tips the ONLY Bullets on the market that have a Plastic/Polymer Nose ?
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Ohiyesa wrote:Are the Hornady V-Max and the Nosler Ballistic Tips the ONLY Bullets on the market that have a Plastic/Polymer Nose ?
And Sierra Blitzkings...
Ohiyesa

Post by Ohiyesa »

Bunghole
Thanks for the info,I forgot all about the Sierra Bullets :?
I have a 17 HMR and I know I have some Bullets that are Tipped with a Black Bullet,,the TNT,,isnt that a V-Max Bullet too ?
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

I dont know what people are expecting outta these things but I am happy with .5" groups. I had gotten out a while back and saw what these things actually do on animals. I have read a lot about people having no expansion etc... here is a pic of my results on a rabbit!!!

[/img]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa77 ... rabbit.jpg