More info and photos from PDog Rex

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
PDog Rex
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

More info and photos from PDog Rex

Post by PDog Rex »

Heres a little more info on my PDog adventures.
I usually go out by myself wearing either woodland camo BDU shirt and boonie hat or desert BDU shirt and boonie hat.
These pretty well match the surrounding landscape depending on the time of year. I take a seat cushion and my "Bogpod" tri-pod to shoot from in a sitting position. Although I like to shoot from the prone position it is impossible out in the "grasslands" due to the tremendous amount of cacti! It's everywhere and I have to really watch where I am sitting down and where the empty cases will eject. The "Bogpod tri-pod" is height adjustable and the legs move in and out to get the right shooting height, I usually raise my right knee up to create a stable platform for my right elbow. After about 20 minutes of walking in and getting set up the PDogs have come back up and start going about there business, The BDU's really blend in well and I make slow movements. My normal shooting distance is from as close as 38 yards (ended as red mist) clear out to 372 yards, with the majority of my shooting distances between 175-250 yards.
I do have a shooting bench as shown in previous photo but it seems like when I drive in and set it up the PDogs go down and stay down, I am guessing that others must shoot from benches so when they see vehicles they associate with shooting benches. The 2 times I have set up the shooting bench I am shooting well over 300 yards all the time. :eew:

Here are a few more pics, the one of the 3 dogs in same pic was from 205 yards. :D
http://s44.photobucket.com/user/PDogRex ... ow/PDogsII

Any ideas as to why the photos don't show up with the text?

PDog Rex
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: More info and photos from PDog Rex

Post by Rick in Oregon »

From another small caliber rodent shooting fanatic.....if you want your photos to show, when doing the "copy/paste" thing, use the photo IMG code. If another other prefix shows, the photo won't show on the forum.

Using the "IMG" code:

Welcome to the 204um!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I was hoping you would chime in,Rick. I have to keep a note, to let me know how this photo thing works.

Best of luck Rex, and welcome to the forum! Keep them photos and stories coming! :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have found that shooting at prairie dogs at around 300 to 400 yards is the optimal distance. This is also prime 20 VarTarg ranges. They tend to stay up, move to another mound and check out why Buddy is missing his head!! :lol: We get more shooting in that way.

Some will pop up closer and those are gravy. I am fortunate to have one of Rick's fine benches. A chair and sticks work out well for sage rats and prairie dogs out to 200 yards. We will use the chair and sticks to clear out the area with the 17 HMRs prior to setting up the bench and spotting scope. Keep those pictures coming.
Please, no Sidewinder today!