Sage rats!

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Sage rats!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote:HUM Rick, will it be magazine feed or have a rotary ? :D :D :D Bill K ;)
Well Bill, as virtually every rimfire rifle Ruger builds has their patented rotary mag, and the fact that their 77/Hornet also employs it, I'll leave that answer to you. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Sort of what I thought, but you never know, they just might come out with a box magazine.. Not one thing wrong with the rotory, alongwith a couple of spare one's in your pocket.. Fast firepower if needed. :D :D Bill K Those little critters have been known to charge. :lol:
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Savage said today on Facebook...Many of you have asked about the Model 25 in 17 Hornet. We are shipping them in pretty good numbers now. Jeff Quinn has one of the first reviews we have seen on it. 10-Shot group, 1/2". Wow, great shooting Jeff!
K = ½mv2
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Around these parts, we started calling the "sage rat", by the name of "Go Downs". Anyone who shoots the beldings on a regular basis, knows that when you spot them with your scope, its like they know you are looking at them, and they "Go Down".

Like a few other posters in the sage rat zone, I have been shooting them longer than I can remember, because of CRS, some 40 yrs or so. I also started with my trusty 10-22, that I still love shooting. Then the 17HMR when it first came out, then the venerable .223. I bought my .204 a couple yrs after that. And last year, my new most favorite rifle, a Cooper chambered in 20VT. :mrgreen:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

futuretrades wrote:Around these parts, we started calling the "sage rat", by the name of "Go Downs". Anyone who shoots the beldings on a regular basis, knows that when you spot them with your scope, its like they know you are looking at them, and they "Go Down".

Like a few other posters in the sage rat zone, I have been shooting them longer than I can remember, because of CRS, some 40 yrs or so. I also started with my trusty 10-22, that I still love shooting. Then the 17HMR when it first came out, then the venerable .223. I bought my .204 a couple yrs after that. And last year, my new most favorite rifle, a Cooper chambered in 20VT. :mrgreen:
New Cooper! HOT Dog! we need pictures!!! Rick has one of those and he is deadly with it. Have fun! Gary
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

I think we are going to need a new category on this site just for 20 VT... Vartargitis is a very infectious disease, especially when compounded with Cooper rifles. I have a full infection. Looking for a cure. Maybe get some therapy this spring when we can start hitting some live Var-Targets!!
K = ½mv2
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Bodei wrote:I think we are going to need a new category on this site just for 20 VT... Vartargitis is a very infectious disease, especially when compounded with Cooper rifles. I have a full infection. Looking for a cure. Maybe get some therapy this spring when we can start hitting some live Var-Targets!!
Bodei. That would be something.. And you are so right about that, the 20VT is really getting fully into the big picture. :D Bill K
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Captqc wrote:New Cooper! HOT Dog! we need pictures!!! Rick has one of those and he is deadly with it. Have fun! Gary
You mean this old thing?

Nuthin' like havin' the "Cooper Curse".....meaning once you get one, you absolutely, positively, without question "NEED" another! "Scooter", my Cooper M38 20VT as she's affectionatly known, has accounted for untold countless sage rats (Beldings Ground Squirrels), and a truckload of rock chucks.

If you like the 204R, and feel you "need" a companion rifle/caliber, look no farther than the 20VT. The marriage of rifle and caliber seems to have been made in "varmint heaven". For work inside 500 yards, it's the most fun little caliber I've ever had the pleasure of owning......and I own a bunch. :wink:

Now we've got winter staring at us....maybe some coyotes for fun, but like you guys, I'm just itchin' to get back out after Skippy and his pals with both my 204R's and 20VT (the two current love affairs). Little do these young rats know, that their flying lessons are about to begin....

Not really, these little guys were close to our ranch house, so they've been declared "breeding stock", but ALL their relatives are in for some deep doo-doo in a few more months! Come on SPRING! :eek:

Oh, and having a forum heading dedicated to the "other" .20 caliber would not hurt my feelings one iota....... :chin:

Brian.....whatcha think?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Bodei wrote:Vartargitis is a very infectious disease...
Can't wait til I get mine, still waiting on the barrel...
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okay Jim....the cat's out of the bag. We want ALL the details! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

32dgrz
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by 32dgrz »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
Captqc wrote:New Cooper! HOT Dog! we need pictures!!! Rick has one of those and he is deadly with it. Have fun! Gary
You mean this old thing?

Nuthin' like havin' the "Cooper Curse".....meaning once you get one, you absolutely, positively, without question "NEED" another! "Scooter", my Cooper M38 20VT as she's affectionatly known, has accounted for untold countless sage rats (Beldings Ground Squirrels), and a truckload of rock chucks.

If you like the 204R, and feel you "need" a companion rifle/caliber, look no farther than the 20VT. The marriage of rifle and caliber seems to have been made in "varmint heaven". For work inside 500 yards, it's the most fun little caliber I've ever had the pleasure of owning......and I own a bunch. :wink:

Now we've got winter staring at us....maybe some coyotes for fun, but like you guys, I'm just itchin' to get back out after Skippy and his pals with both my 204R's and 20VT (the two current love affairs). Little do these young rats know, that their flying lessons are about to begin....

Not really, these little guys were close to our ranch house, so they've been declared "breeding stock", but ALL their relatives are in for some deep doo-doo in a few more months! Come on SPRING! :eek:

Oh, and having a forum heading dedicated to the "other" .20 caliber would not hurt my feelings one iota....... :chin:

Brian.....whatcha think?
Don't listen to this guy. It will lead to a lessening of your bank account and I have a appointment to see a doctor about this smile I can't seem to shake. LOL
All kidding aside this is my new favorite small caliber round thanks for the advise
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

32dgrz wrote:[Don't listen to this guy. It will lead to a lessening of your bank account and I have a appointment to see a doctor about this smile I can't seem to shake. LOL

All kidding aside this is my new favorite small caliber round thanks for the advise
Thanks, smiles are good......just consider me your "Small Caliber Purchasing Mentor"......always here to help. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

32dgrz
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by 32dgrz »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
32dgrz wrote:[Don't listen to this guy. It will lead to a lessening of your bank account and I have a appointment to see a doctor about this smile I can't seem to shake. LOL

Thanks, smiles are good......just consider me your "Small Caliber Purchasing Mentor"......always here to help. :wink:

SCPM I Like that RIO SCPM
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

Rick should get a commission from every Cooper 20 VT sold. This was my first season going after Skippy because I wanted to have some shooting for my AR-15 varmint upper. After reading up I bought my .204 Howa and got a .17 HMR for Christmas. After my first contact with Skippy and these guns I was hooked! In four days from now I get my first Cooper in 20 VT because I wanted something that doesn't heat up so fast as my AR and .204. Sometime this winter I expect to get my .17 HH and my squirrel arsenal should be "complete" (at least for 2013). It's gonna be a long wait this winter, but I will be making ammo like theres no tomorrow. Hope the sage rats get frisky early cause I need lotsa targets!

.204 Ruger at work, launching NASA (National Air-launching Squirrel Association) "squirrelnauts" into space...
K = ½mv2
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bodei wrote:Rick should get a commission from every Cooper 20 VT sold. Sometime this winter I expect to get my .17 HH and my squirrel arsenal should be "complete" (at least for 2013).
Bodei: I agree with the first part....especially since my middle name is actually "Cooper".....

As for the second part, good luck. I started shooting Skippy and his pals with enthusiasm in 1968, shortlly after returning from 'Nam....that's 44 years ago. After about five years, I "thought" my rat battery was complete. Now after all that time, varmint rifles seem to breed in my safe when I'm not watching....there's something like 20+ in there right now. :eek:

After all this time, I'm still as giddy as a schoolgirl about February every year, just itchin' for the little buggers to come up.....the smile sez it all....

Moral: If you're anything like me, you'll NEVER be done acquiring/stashing/wanting/shooting more rifles (or pistols)......it's the way it's supposed to be, and just proves you're also an uncureable rifle looney! :D

How long till spring?.....tick-tock......... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA