Cedarville sqeaks trip report

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Cedarville sqeaks trip report

Post by Bodei »

So I'm new to .204's and this was my first squeak hunt to the wilds of NE California for the (not-so) elusive Belding's Ground Squirrel. Brought out the .17 HMR the first day since I forgot my bench and was nailing 'em out to 125 yds with pretty good accuracy. On day two I brought out SQUIRRELZILLA (Howa .204 ruger, seen here) Image and that thing is almost "unfair" at anything under 200 yards. Just aim the crosshairs dead on and then watch 'em fly...literally. I also used my Stag Arms 24" Varmint BBL in .223 with my hand loads while my dad used his favorite Savage .17 HMR at the close stuff. Image
Tried the new 40 grain (.224") Varmageddons and the results were equal to the V-max as witnessed here ( Skippy did about a 10 foot launch before what was left hit the ground) Image

By the looks of things it will be a banner year for skurrels up that way. Lots of numbers and the babies aren't even out yet.
K = ½mv2
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Cedarville sqeaks trip report

Post by Bill K »

Hummmm... very interesting. Thanks for sharing the photos. :D Bill K :)
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

Don't worry, I left enough for you.
K = ½mv2
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Bodei wrote:Don't worry, I left enough for you.
I certainly Thank You, for that... I have a couple of small places south, that are holding a few. And the sage flats have plenty of running jacks.. Loads ( pun intended) of fun.. :D Bill K :)
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

I see it has snowed since your hunt. Curious if the alfalfa has grown enough to need cutting yet, or if it's pretty low crop right now?

Headed to Alturas for my first Belden's trip, so any help in the ranch location/ contact greatly appreciated if you can share via PM. It's a 7+ hour drive up for my son and I, hope Thurdsay to Sunday's weather report is correct for sun and warmer weather.

Thanks for the pictures

Allen
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I am about 2 hours west of Alturas. Because of weather and especially wind where I am, I haven't ventured out in the field yet. This weekend tho, we are expecting temps in the 70's and maybe low 80's. I am planing my trip as I write this. I will be packing a lot of heat to shoot. 22's 20VT, 204R, 223, and I may even break out my Hummer. I am guessing the alfalfa has grown enough to make finding and killing skippy a little more difficult. But thats life, and we take what we can get! :mrgreen:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Bodei looks like you got the launch factor down. Nice photos with the mountions .
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

Anyone get out this weekend? I bet it was fantastic! Looking to get ol' Squirrelzilla up to Cedarville again soon. Took the old .22 Ruger out and found some Beldings up in the hills north of me. One shot, two kills at about 60 yards with CCI Segmented HPs. These rounds are awesome for squeaks. Opens em up good on the reverse side. Unfortunately they are Stinger-length and I upgraded my barrel to a Bentz chamber so can't use em anymore. I'll post the photo in the rimfire section.
K = ½mv2