Squirrel Daze

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Squirrel Daze

Post by Bodei »

Like an Iranian dictator, I've slowly built up the "arsenal" in preparation for my first ground squirrel assault in NorCal. Now we are going to finally get winter and snow this week! I have Squeak Cabin Fever.
Heard from the DFG biologist in Alturas last week that the little suckers were already out in force, but this week might send 'em back. Guess it all depends on the following weeks. I'm getting tired of shooting paper!
Anyone been "scouting"? They should be in "the rut" about now.

FYI, the "Arsenal" includes;
Ruger 10/22
Savage .17 HMR
Stag Arms AR-15 24" BBL 5.56mm
Howa 1500 24" BBL .204 Ruger
Glock .40 cal (in case any get "danger-close")
K = ½mv2
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Squirrel Daze

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bodei: Yep, they are indeed in the rut. My rancher buddy in eastern Oregon called me this week while the sun was shining, and told me from where he was standing on his property at the ranch, he could see at least 100 squirrels up and about, so the males are indeed getting active. Won't be too much longer now.....

I was thinking thoughts of fresh-burnt rifle powder, flying squirrels and nice rifles on the bench when I awoke this morning, I then looked out the garage door and saw this:

Same story in Alturas according to my rancher buddy there too.....rats! But they really need the moisture, and it should all be gone by mid-March when we really get started on Skippy and his pals.

Here's some "snow-painting" from a snowfall during last rat season. This little guy got smacked with my Kimber .22LR and a WW Power Point out the truck window and landed head-first down his burrow...bummer for him. The red "fan" created by a 32gr .204 bullet is much more spectacular though. ;)

I'm told winter WILL end soon........ :? (It can't come soon enough for me!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I got my first ground squirrel of 2012 on February 18th. I always shoot the first one I see each year. After that, I take a break and let them raise their babies. Our populations are nothing like they are in Ricks neighborhood where they have a huge impact on crop production. If any of them would have come out this last Saturday around here, I don't think they would have touched ground until somewhere over Idaho! Of course, this type of wind storm usually is a sign of Spring approaching our area. Snow this morning, should warm up by mid-week.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RAMOS wrote:Snow this morning, should warm up by mid-week.
Promise? :eek:

The rats don't seem to mind a bit of snow; more opportunities for snow painting. You're spot-on in regard to the snow though Ramos...happens every year. I remember waking up at the ranch two years ago at the END OF MAY, and had 5" on the ground, and coming down hard. Rats still died the entire weekend though. :D

But hey, it's still winter! Plenty of time for spring green-up, but snow just isn't the best motivator for shooting squirrels. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Promise?

Sorry, no-can-do! The forecast was made by the "Weather Guesser" on MSNBC. Still, we can hope!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

We're supposed to get the big snow here on Wednesday (over a foot). Gives me a reason for more reloading and case prep. We definitely need the moisture to help fatten up skippy when the sun comes out again. This has been the driest winter since I've lived in the Sierras (12 years).
Maybe we can make some red snow cones this year like Rick did :)
K = ½mv2