Cold day in Alberta!

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Kale_M
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VTR

Cold day in Alberta!

Post by Kale_M »

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! -33F this morngin then the wid dropped and "warmed up" to -25. Perfect!!!

First stand dry..

Second stand had onecome in downwind of me. Was goign to take the shot at 300 yards but he winded me at the last minute ad bolted! darn!

Third stand dry

Fourth stand, Had this one come bolting in. He went behind a small rise, Got my gun up, he comes around the side of the hill and stops to see what all the raquet is about. 100 yard shot DRT.

5th stand dry

6th stand I am sitting watching as the foxpro does its thing, Then there is a coyote about 20 yards to my left goig mach 5! He veers left and I have to take the gun off the bogpod and try a runing shot at 30 yards with the scope on 9x. Missed. Went to stand up and somehow got my shooting sticks tangled in my legs ad they snap in 3 pieces. Finally get up and take a another shot and miss again. See another booking it out of there as well. My fault, should have set up better to see over the rise infront of me! Nice silver colored dog, wish i could of had that one.

7Th stand dry.

8th stand I am sitting on the side of a hill with a good vantage point, Called for 5 mins and I see one pop up on the hill about 400 yards out then he puts on the after burners ad closes the distance. Was patient ad waited till he was insice 150 yards, he turned ad started to go across in front of me. I sat up, raised the gun the he stopped broadside at 130 yards, DRT good sized female.

9th stand dry.

Was a good day!

I have 26 down since the start of october!
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Cold day in Alberta!

Post by ryutzy »

Nice! WTG!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
redfeather
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Post by redfeather »

KM,
I hunt up on the Canadian border in Central Montana and the coutry is similiar to yours. I believe you are using a Rem 700 in .204 with Berger 35g HP?? How are those bullets working out...it appears very little pelt damage? Thanks for the great hunt reports.
Kale_M

Post by Kale_M »

redfeather wrote:KM,
I hunt up on the Canadian border in Central Montana and the coutry is similiar to yours. I believe you are using a Rem 700 in .204 with Berger 35g HP?? How are those bullets working out...it appears very little pelt damage? Thanks for the great hunt reports.
South East AB lots of dogs in this area!,

These 35gr bergers are THE load for saving pelts on yotes. Shot both these dogs right in the shoulder. I could not even find an entrance, No blood even, Just drops them on the spot like a bolt of lighting from above!

Shot a jackrabbit today with them and again could not find an entrance but being a smaller animal there was a good sized exit, They come apart nicley and that is good news for internal ballistics on the yotes!
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Post by venison_burger »

Great stories, thanks for the pics!

What kind of foxpro are you using? The whole set-up with camera tripod intrigues me..
Kale_M

Post by Kale_M »

venison_burger wrote:Great stories, thanks for the pics!

What kind of foxpro are you using? The whole set-up with camera tripod intrigues me..
SPitfire, with an external SP-55 speaker. Works Great!

Morrisonsfweb
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Morrisonsfweb »

Awesome share indeed. I’ve been awaiting for this update.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

Thanks for such a throrough explanation of the good and bad sets.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Excellent post :D :D :D