A pic of my predator control work in S. Tx.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
redfeather
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

A pic of my predator control work in S. Tx.

Post by redfeather »

I do predator control work in S Tx. and I take around 150 coyotes and 150 coons each winter along with various bobcats and hogs. I just got back a few weeks ago from a five day trip. I took my Rem 700 in 20 Tactical with me, and I was testing out the Sierra 39g SBK bullets. I had mixed results where the close ones at 30 yards I had a quarter entry hole with no exit and if they were 50 yards and farther I had to look for an entry hole and there was no exit hole. So, all of the reports I read on here about bullet performance on coyotes are very important to me...it reduces the learning curve alot. The fact that there is no exit hole is a good thing, but I need to experiment with slowing them down to see if that reduces any splash entry holes. My Rem 700 used to be a .204 and I removed the barrel and cut the threads off and rechambered it to 20 Tactical...I like the 20 Tactical because I already have tons of LC brass and it is easy to form them into 20 Tactical. I know you like pics, so here is a pile of predators. Image
redfeather

Re: A pic of my predator control work in S. Tx.

Post by redfeather »

I have been thinking about what Doubleup said when he has been using the Hornady 32g Vmax successfully on his coyotes and not having them blow bazooka size holes in them. I will have to test some of the 32g Vmax.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Might also try some CRT HP,for less splash on entry.One of the sponsors on this site.See above.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

redfeather,
Looks like a tuff job you got there! Need some help? I'd be glad to help ya'! :D
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Nice pile of yotes! If I were you I'd probably try CRTs bullets or Berger bullets instead of downloading SBKs. I'm still testing CRTs bullets, but they seem to be slightly tougher than the sbk.

Hey what's your method of taking those coyotes? By chopper?
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

WOW that's a serious pile of fur. How many coyotes shot, trapped?
redfeather

Post by redfeather »

No we do not use choppers, but some places do that down here. I trap and call these coyotes in a 50/50 mix. I have some of the Berger 35g HP bullets and I will also give them a try. I will wait to here some of the feedback reports on the CRT 37g HP bullets, but they do look like a great coyote bullet. Thanks.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Wow, what a pile of pelts, you have done very well indeed. So what is your favorite caliber for coyotes Redfeather?
Please, no Sidewinder today!
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

Wow, that's some nice going right there redfeather. As stated I didn't have any splashes or exits with the 32's, but I didn't shoot any shoulders either. Most of those coyotes were taken from about 75 to 150 yds. I also loaded them down a little to just below 3950 fps where they shot very accurately with A2230 in little tiny groups. I can push those 32's to 4,100 or even 4,200 fps with IMR 8208. I do use them that hot for crows and other vermin, but for coyotes I've just had devastating results on them with a speed of 3,900 to 3,950 in my rifle. I hope that helps you some and thanks for sharing.
redfeather

Post by redfeather »

SW,
I am not sure that I have a favorite caliber for coyotes. I am currently testing the 20 Tactical with different 20 cal bullets, and I am also testing the 6PPC and 6BR with 55g NBT and 58g Vmax bullets. The 58g Vmax are doing real well by not doing much pelt damage and by not exiting, and they also drop a coyote like the hammer of Thor. On the 6PPC and 6BR I am running the 6mm bullets at the slower speeds around 3100 fps at the muzzle. I have also shot alot of coyotes using the .222 , .223, 22-250, and the .17 Rem using 30g bullets. Thanks.