Friday The 13th Lucky or Not ?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Friday The 13th Lucky or Not ?

Post by Dennis81082 »

Colton, my buddy TR and I went to visit a friend in the Alamosa Valley. High altitude and cold weather makes for some good predator fur so we went for a look. A close friend of my sister in law, built a place in a remote canyon and offered to put up with us for a day or two. Tim let us throw a sleeping bag on the floor and entertained us while we weren't hunting, thanks Tim.

We arrived late in the afternoon on the 13th, threw our stuff in the house and went for a ride to check out the area. Plenty of snow would keep us from getting very far off the county road but we found a spot worth a try for a quick stand. We punched holes in the crusted snow up over a ridge and found a spot above a creek open enough to give us some shooting lanes through the brush and pines.

We were just going to make a quick stand so TR didn't bring the video camera. Colton and I sat next to some cover and TR went to our left after putting the call down by the edge of the creek. I don't think the call had been running for more than a minute or two when I saw movement through the brush to our right. Something was coming fast and I whispered to Colton to be ready. The critter would stop and look around then move toward the sound. I really couldn't tell what we had coming until it stopped with it's head exposed, BOBCAT I whispered to Colton. It was looking right at us but we kept still and it moved again and stopped in an small opening. I told Colton if he had a shot to put it right in the chest. He didn't hesitate and the cat dropped at the shot. It disappeared and I watched for movement. After a while we started the celebration. If it wasn't for the rifles and deep snow I would have jumped on him for a hug. I was excited. Colton didn't say much but had a grin on his face I would have paid money to see. We got up and I left my rifle on the sticks for a marker. TR showed up and we went for a look. 55 yards later we found this beautiful female.

I was a little worried when we walked up because of the size of the feet and head. I was sure it was a bobcat when she was coming in but this is an area that could produce a Lynx. They were introduced a few years back. After checking her out we decided she was all bobcat and perfect for a kid's first. If you look straight uphill from the cats head you can see an alley and our tracks to a big cedar tree where we were sitting. Colton was shooting a CZ 527, in 223 and the shot was perfect (55yds) with no exit, we had a hard time finding the entry.

I am extremely proud of this kid and his skills and he will just get better. I hope I'm around a long time to see him grow into a predator hunter. I'm a little jealous, I've never taken a bobcat. Maybe Colton will be with me on my first.

We hunted the next day and couldn't find a coyote. Had some howl in response to our calling, but from long distance. We tried to close the distance but no takers.

I guess we could have been disappointed but after the first set we made on "Lucky Friday The 13th" it didn't matter.

Thanks for looking, sorry if I got a little long winded.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Friday The 13th Lucky or Not ?

Post by Melvin Eades »

Dennis,
Long winded? Not at all. Great write up on your hunt and a nice looking cat. Congratulations to Colton and the proud Dad. Savor the moments hunting with Colton, they are priceless.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Very nice!! Awesome hunt. Too bad TR didnt take the camera cuz maybe I'd get to see that hunt on the Verminator videos.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

ryutzy

We talked about not having the camera along but it didn't matter. TR was far enough to our left that he couldn't have seen anything. It all happened so fast that he would have to have been sitting in my lap with the camera. Don't think I would like that. :eew:
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Lol
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Congratulations to the young man & to Dad & TR as well!!!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen