32 v-max for coyotes

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Re: 32 v-max for coyotes

Post by DoubleUp »

No info, and haven't had anyone show up to claim it. So we'll wait and see.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Congrats on your recovery and removing the coyote's from your area.

Curious, have you had issues with the same load on shoulder shots, or just know from others posts to keep shooting them in the lungs/ heart area? If you have done research or experience yourself your reply will save me a bunch of searching.

My son killed a Yote, our only one, with MY 204 AR pushing a 40 NBT ahead of 27 gns Varget, which is ammo I procured and shoots well in the DPMS upper that isn't supposed to shoot these Noslers, or anything above 39 SMK.

Thank you

Allen
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

Allen, no I haven't had any issues on shoulder shots because I haven't taken any. I either shoot them in the heart/lungs or neck. I also haven't shot any running with the 32 v'max, so I've been pretty selective on where to place these 32's. I've killed an even dozen with this load, and only had one that didn't die instantly. That one was knocked down and jumped up and ran maybe 30 feet before piling up.

I have read about splashes on shoulder shots with 32 vmax and even 40 vmax as well as some 39 sbk's, so that is why I've tried hard to avoid them. Passed up a shot yesterday at 140 yds for that very reason. When I get to where I can go calling more, I'll switch to my AR in 223 with heavier bullets so I can take them shoulder on or running. Still kind of limited right now. Once I get to shooting the AR, then I'll try to fix the feed problem with my Savage, so that it will handle the 35 Bergers.
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

This female was sneaking around the bait pile at the back of my pond about 11:30 last night. Shot her at 147 yards with the 32 v-max and another bang flop. I was using the EWT- red 250 Kill Light.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

WTG! Love the pics!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks for the bullet information, and congrats on the added kill.

That image must be a negative, your bolt is on the wrong side...lol

Looks like a Mueller with aluminated crosshairs? Did you turn it on for the night shot?

Keep at em and save other wildlife.

Allen
predhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by predhunter »

very nice those 32s look like they are working good for you.
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

hemiallen, that's a good one. I could just turn the rifle upside down like I've seen people do with spinning reels.

I did use the lighted reticle, and it made the shot easier even with the Kill Light.

predhunter, yes contrary to all the bad storeis I've heard on the 32 v-maxes, they are working very good for me.

Song Dog, thanks and yes everybody loves pictures.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

DoubleUp wrote:Thanks guys for the replies and comments. Fell off a ladder and cracked the L3 in my lower back, so I'm convalescing right now. Hopefully I'll get back to the dogs in a few weeks. I expect our dogs average around 40-45 lbs here. Those two in the double were about half grown. I have killed a couple over 50 but never anything much larger than that around here. Sure want the one with the tracking collar though!
Hey, I'd be more than happy to "assist" you if needed.....LOL
sniper74
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 T/C Venture Predator

Post by sniper74 »

Great shooting!!I have been using the 32 gr Vmax for 2.5 months now on coyotes and I have not had one get away. I think they are the real deal for coyotes. I shot one that was facing me right in the chest and he only ran about 5 yards before going down. One little hole that was it. I would not be too afraid of taking a shoulder shot with them as long as it was not 350 or something like that. Has anyone actually had splashes with them or just "heard" of splashes? I have always loved Vmax bullets and will always use them!
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

sniper74, I don't personally know anyone who has had splashes, but lots of people claim the 32 vmx and 39 sbk's will splash on shoulder shots, so I avoid them. I've had to let a few go because I couldn't get the shot I wanted. I'm very confident of the 32 vmx with a neck shot (which I love) or a boiler room shot and they are DRT.

I did lose one in December shot at 150 yds at night. It was a black one and I hit him behind the lungs but below the spine, and he got away. I feel confident that is what happened because I had a video of the bullet knocking him down. That's the first one I've ever lost with the 204. It was just bad shot placement, and I had trouble seeing that black coyote. Plus I just wanted him so bad that I probably was too anxious. It was pure operator error and no fault of the bullet. :wall:
sniper74
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 T/C Venture Predator

Post by sniper74 »

Good old operator error!! LOL! How many times have we all had to admit to that! Don't feel bad, happens to everyone! It is too bad it was on a dark coyote like that. I ran into a dark coyote a couple of weeks ago. We were calling and got busted by some coyotes that came in behind us and my buddy shot and missed. As we looked down the valley we were hunting, 2 coyotes that were starting to come up ran out, too far to shoot but one was a dark one! Man it was nice, looked like a wolf! I will give him another shot before the season is over. I will post a picture if I get him.
As for shoulder splashes, I will have to try a shoulder shot and see what happens. I am a fan of the boiler room shot, has always worked for me, more margin for error when you have bad "coyote fever". Having shot that one in the breast bone and having him not go very far I am confident in a shoulder shot if I had to. Let us know if you take one as well.
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

I got the pic of the black one three nights before I shot him and lost him. I'm still stressed over it.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

DoubleUp wrote:I'm still stressed over it.
It's not stress, just inspiration to get back out there.
"The one that got away" is hopefully only the one that lived a couple days longer.
Good luck Doubleup. Go get 'im
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

DoubleUp, you mentioned awhile back that your wife helped to load up a couple of coyotes that you shot. Right then I figured she was a great gal. Now, I see in the picture that she also patches your britches with love. Where in the world did you find such a partner? You are very blessed, my friend!