Coyote Moon

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Coyote Moon

Post by Dennis81082 »

Some say coyote callin' under a full moon doesn't work. Some say it doesn't matter.

I'm not gonna argue one way or another. But you can't call one if you don't try.

My son Colton and I figured we had time for two quick stands before dark. First was close to the neighbor's that had lost a couple of chickens in the last week to coyotes. We sat in front of an old adobe building that had seen better days but had lots tracks in the snow. Perfect place to make prey sounds. We had a big sagebrush arroyo in front and a wind from left to right. Anything trying to get our wind would have to come into the wide open on our right. I played the caller softly trying not to get the sound out too far knowing we would only have time to move a short distance if this set didn't produce. And it didn't.

We got our stuff and moved into the wind and parallel to the arroyo about 500 yards and set down in some sage. We had a wide open flat in front that dropped off into the arroyo. Ran the call for about 2 to 3 minutes when I spotted a familiar shape coming up onto the flat to our left. I muted the call and he stopped. I let him have a little more to get him started again, muted the sound again and again he stopped looking for the source. He was heading left to right trying to get downwind. He would trot a ways and check up, trying to locate that hot meal he heard a second ago. He was working his way into a position that would put him right in front of Colton. I gave him a few lip squeaks and he kept coming until he stopped in the perfect spot and I told Colton to shoot.

The coyote ran hard after the shot and I wondered if the shot was good. We walked to the fence and Colton waited while I went to look for blood. I found where he was standing and could see he jumped and started running. I followed and found blood at about 10 yards. I walked a little then followed the tracks with my eyes and saw him piled up over a little rise. He had run about 50 yards with a hole in the boiler room right above the top of the leg with no exit. Dang kid is getting good with the little CZ. I waved to Colton and he came over for pics but it was getting dark fast. The little pocket digital worked as usual and took a shot of the "Coyote Moon".

Another shot to the west with the Spanish Peaks in the distance made for a perfect ending to our hunt.

Hope you enjoyed reading about it as much as we did sharing it.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Coyote Moon

Post by ryutzy »

Awesome!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Great outing and lots of good memories for both of you!! Congratulations to Colton for the good shooting and to you for the great job of calling a coaxing on the coyote. Thanks for posting the pics and the story.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

One of lifes pleasures, calling on a full moon, clear/crisp cold night... And you can see them moving for miles.. Bill K :D
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

Bill K wrote:One of lifes pleasures, calling on a full moon, clear/crisp cold night... And you can see them moving for miles.. Bill K :D

This was a last lite set up. No nite hunts for me, too cold for this old man. :(
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Dennis,

Looks like you had another good time with Colton. I like those full moon, snow covered nights, you don't even need a light to hunt'em.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Dennis81082 wrote:
Bill K wrote:One of lifes pleasures, calling on a full moon, clear/crisp cold night... And you can see them moving for miles.. Bill K :D

This was a last lite set up. No nite hunts for me, too cold for this old man. :(
Old, I am 73 going on 74 and still just have to get out there, cold or not. Just bundle up good.. ;) Bill K
verminator3
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Encore and Ruger MKII 77

Post by verminator3 »

Congrats on that yote . Great story too,, Hope you guys have many more outings just as good