Tough day in Colorado

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Tough day in Colorado

Post by Dennis81082 »

A friend posted this on another website. Thought you all might enjoy a tough day of calling. The last pic is the one I shot with a 243 using Hornady 75gr HP's. Hit him on the point of the shoulder (the side in the pic) and the small exit was behind the last rib on the other side. What amazed me was the coyote got up and ran another 75yds after the shot with no plumbing left. More often than not, I'm usually scratching my head after a day of playing with coyotes.

4:30am this morning I loaded the Jeep and headed South for the booming metropolis of Hoehne, CO.... At 6:00am I was pulling into the mile long gravel drive way which terminated at the home of my buddy Dennis G, aka Colorado Coyotes. The plan for the day was to call and kill coyotes.

And call we did! And kill we did! We killed every darn one we called and seen! All TWO of em!

I don't know what the deal was. Just one of those days the coyotes weren't responding very well. I finally killed a nice female that came in on my side around midday. Dennis finally killed a BIG old male late in the afternoon. A fun day of tough calling. Thanks Dennis!

The female I killed.

The monster Dennis whacked. What a coyote! I'd guess an easy 35lbs, maybe closer to 40. (HOWA .243)

[/img]
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Tough day in Colorado

Post by Melvin Eades »

Glad you guys are seeing some coyotes. I've been doing a lot of bow hunting for deer and we just went through our first 3 day deer firearms season and I haven't seen a one. Haven't heard many howling either. Congratulations to both of you and thanks for sharing your hunt.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Re: Tough day in Colorado

Post by DoubleUp »

Very nice there Dennis. Sounds like the huntin' was better than the killin', but I expect all of us would be glad to average two/day for every day we go.