Cooper .20 Vartarg & Rockchucks

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Cooper .20 Vartarg & Rockchucks

Post by futuretrades »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Glenn: When I'm not at my bench sniping varmints in alfalfa fields, my own .223 Rem walkabout rifle is an old nice and handy Sako Vixen. I usually shoot anything from 40gr BT's all the way to the Sierra 63gr Semi-Pointed in it's 12 twist barrel.....works great. It's the nicest small bore walkabout rifle I've ever owned:

That mountain sure looks familiar Rick. Actually it looks like it was taken from 1 of the fields that I was shooting in my last trip. That must be an older picture. :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Post by GlennGTR1 »

Found a new Ruger M77 MKII in the box. A special run, has the old Ruger blueing a 24 inch barrel, Ruger logo leather sling, and a Leupold vx 1 4-12x40, they are asking $890. tax included. Does this seem like a good deal? For those of you that have owned a 204 for a while now, how are your barrels wearing?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

futuretrades wrote:[That mountain sure looks familiar Rick. Actually it looks like it was taken from 1 of the fields that I was shooting in my last trip. That must be an older picture. :lol:
Kevin: You nailed it, buddy. That's Shasta alright, taken about 2002 on the west side of the mountain, just south of the Oregon border. I think we've shot the same ranch in the past if I remember talking to you about it during one Rat Rodeo down that way.

If this "Spring" weather would leave, we could both get back out for some fun with rodents, but right now it's snowing sideways here again, with winds in the 25-30 mph "non-shooting" range. :?

I'm now working on some 223 Lapua brass shot at Skippy last week, all my other rat loads are done.....now I just need some decent weather! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Post by willyp19 »

Rick,

Nice write up and pics! I see you've finally switched to Nosler bullet in your 20VT, looks like a deadly pill for Rock Chucks.
Last edited by willyp19 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

willyp19: Thanks buddy.....the Sierra 32gr BK actually shoots a bit better in the Vartarg with most any powder I stuff into the cases, but with Nosler being right here......well, you know. :D

I had to work on the load and seating depth for a while, but finally came up with a load that shoots about the same.....and seems about perfect for both chucks and sage rats. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

Love the pictures, Rick! Love that rock chuck hunting , too! Wish I had an excuse to really get after them. We're still waiting on May and only "going long" right now. Guess I need to post up some pics from the big boomers. I bet it was like shooting elephant after shooting Skippy!

Keep us posted of your continuing exploits in the varmint fields...

Tim
No Off Season
Predator and Varmint Hunts and Gear
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Rick:

This all harkens back to that conversation we had the other day about blasphemy... :lol: Good job.....

A good 20 VT simply grows on ya'......... So does a Tac 20 on the bigger end...

-BCB