Cooper 20VT Meets Skippy

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Cooper 20VT Meets Skippy

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Our "spring" weather has been more like what we get in winter, but it appears Skippy and his gopher pals are out anyway. We fought blizzards, rain, wind, and more blowing snow this trip than any other in recent memory. For the first day and a half of this shoot, we used our 10-22's and my Browning 1885 Low Wall in 22 K-Hornet for "drive-by" shooting, as it was snowing and blowing fiercely, but the squirrels were still out.

My Cooper 20 Vartarg "needed" to fireform 450 freshly formed cases with 32gr V-Max's loaded over RL-7, and what better way to do that than on our most cooperative rodent: "Skippy the Flying Squirrel". Once the snow stopped we got out the CF's and benches. My Cooper M38 VR in 20 Vartarg ready for her first rat-combat:

With the fields and roads very muddy from all the snow-melt, we just parked our pickup and a fire truck that the rancher offered at the edge of one of the fields and engaged the enemy from elevated positions.

The alfalfa has not come up yet, but this shows only a very small portion of the area we were shooting....note the squirrel mounds all the way out to as far as you can shoot (1,200 yards if you wanted). Dan up top of the firetruck got a confirmed kill at 509 yards using his M700 VLS in 223. Both of us were using Lupy 6.5-20X LR scopes. This pic only shows just one corner of the squirrel infested fields:

Even with the little 20VT case (formed from 221FB) and a 32gr fireform load at 3,500 fps, I was able to nail rats to 400 yards, even in the 10-15 mph wind we had all day. I'm interested to see how field loads in formed cases at 3,700 fps will do next time out. My setup in the back of the truck overlooking rodent heaven:

One of the victims that had great "hang-time" from the 32gr V-Max fireform load at around 260 yards......ideal medicine for Skippy:

CRT's (Brad) bench tray worked very well for feeding cases into the single shot Cooper M38:

The next snow storm lurking on the SW horizon:

Getting ready for dinner, we looked out the back window and saw these two mulies doing their "deer stuff" (we had a herd of about 40 milling about for four days....some even went into the barn to stay warm and dry):

The next morning on the way to the shooting positions, we had a bunch of bald eagles sitting on the pivot pipes and munching on the carcases from the previous days shooting:

There are always golden eagles and hawks, but it's always cool to see the big boys enjoying the fooder provided by the Eastern Oregon Raptor Feeding Society. :mrgreen: This pile of 20VT brass represents how much fun I had with my new Cooper M38 VR on Skippy and his pals....to the tune of 270 cases:

It was a good way to kick off our 2011 Rat Season....next adventure coming up very soon. I'll have to pack a couple of 204's also for the next trip.....Skippy will be hanging out way out there next time me thinks..... :wink:
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Cooper 20VT Meets Skippy

Post by Captqc »

:eek:Dang Rick I just drooled all over my keyboard! I'm sure sorry I missed that trip, can't wait for next weekend!!!! See ya soon. Gary
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Rick, glad to see your 20VT is getting a work out. I sure love that caliber. It may be my new favorite for the 200 to 400 yard range. You always need a good rifle to use while the 204 is cooling down, right! :flame:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I had a sneaky feeling you were out rat whacking Rick!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Rick, that just ain't right showing those pics! I have over 2 1/2 months till I can attack the pd population in Montana. That .20 VT sure does look interesting. Great write up and pics.
ImageImage
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sidewinderwa wrote:Rick, glad to see your 20VT is getting a work out. I sure love that caliber. It may be my new favorite for the 200 to 400 yard range. You always need a good rifle to use while the 204 is cooling down, right! :flame:
Sidewinder: Right you are buddy....I was very pleasantly surprised at how much shooting I could do without any barrel heating.....a rat shooters dream. I went 200 rounds without cleaning, and when I cleaned it up at the house, it cleaned right up as usual without any signs of copper or carbon fouling whatever.

Seems like the perfect rat caliber for prolonged shooting up to 400+ yards.
Glen wrote:I had a sneaky feeling you were out rat whacking Rick!! :wink:
Glen: You know me too well! :lol:
Keith in Ga wrote:Rick, that just ain't right showing those pics! I have over 2 1/2 months till I can attack the pd population in Montana. That .20 VT sure does look interesting. Great write up and pics.
Keith: Thanks bud.....it was my hope that this adventure would just prime you for your upcoming PD trip. Just think how pumped you're gonna be in 2.5 months! ;)

Captqc: Tick-tock, Gary.....got your Cooper 204 Phoenix all tuned up? I'm just hoping the next outing will be "snowless".......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Looks like you had a good time, even with this spring weather we have been having! I'm sort of starting to miss my .204 :? I took my 17 Fireball out a couple weeks ago with those Nosler bullets and had a good time. The bullets didn't give any splat factor, but they are fun to shoot. The 25gr. Hornady HP does much better for launching them. Then my dad let me shoot the Cooper .204 and boy it was fun to launch squirrels at 250-300 on just about every shot :lol:

I'd love to go down for a few hours one of these days and shoot with you guys! Looks like a blast.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I've been wondering where you were hiding RIO, guess I should have known! Wow looks like a lot of fun--I sure am jealous, I cant hunt rats or prairie dogs here. I've got a few of the big ole fat groundhogs here, but those are getting fewer and farther between. Someday I'll head out that way to heat up my 204.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

RIO great picks I enjoyedthe story also . Now you have everybody itching to get out to the feilds and play. I have never seen that many eagles in one spot before. Looks like the new cooper is going to work out well for you.
Neil S.
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Neil S. »

I think its so nice that you guys take the time out of your day just to feed those majestic birds :lol:! I'm glad to see the new cooper is working out for you Rick! Looking forward to the next write up!

-Neil
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Our "spring" weather has been more like what we get in winter,

I hear ya Rick. We been getting really hammered down here too. 9 miles so. of us, they got 114 inches of snow in the month of march, We got about 5 feet here. Seems like I been shoveling snow forever. Looks like spring is here finally. Me thinks I will be headin North tomorrow and have a look-see.
Glen wrote:I had a sneaky feeling you were out rat whacking Rick!! :wink:
I
I kinda figered the same thing.
Glad to hear you guys were able to get out and have a few days of fun in the fields! :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Post by willyp19 »

RIO,

Good write up and pictures. Sounds like a great early spring adventure...Keep us posted on the next one.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Rick, as always, a first rate trip and presentation. First Class all the way!
Jon
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys. Good to know others like sharing the adventures. :D This Cooper seems to be working out just as planned......accurate, not hard to look at, and quite hard on Skippy. ;)

A little more of the fun had over that four day period: A shot of Dan (Captqc's son) up top of the fire truck working on Skippy with his Rem M700 VLS in 223 shooting 50gr BT's over H335:

As we all like equipment pics, the focal point of my trip, my Cooper M38 VR in 20 Vartarg on the bench along with CRT's (Brad's) nicely made No. 2 Bench Tray feeding my Cooper (Skippy did NOT approve!):

And although I usually don't like posting pics of my old ugly mug, this pic Dan took shows about 10% of the true fun I was having at that moment with my Vartarg and Skippy (the lack of barrel heating was amazing with this caliber):

No kidding, the shooting was so good, our smiles actually made out cheeks sore after a while from all the laughing and hooting about Skippy's flying ability and the excellent rat-o-batics we were experiencing. Sorry, no flying rat pics this trip, my fingers were too cold to work the camera properly with gloves on. I promise to deliver next time though. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks for the additional pics RIO!! Feels like were right there with ya. You should start a rat guiding service. LOL I'd come! I love all the pics of the Coopers--you should stop though because you're making me think about ordering a 204 in a Cooper as well... If one 204 is good I guess another would be better huh?
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable