2/12/11 coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

2/12/11 coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

This morning I went back out to the creek bottom where Lucas made his long shot last weekend to see if anything might be visiting the dead cow. I got out there just at the first hint of light and sat in the same spot we sat last weekend. I had been there about 15-20 minutes when two coyotes came down the middle of the field from the north ( I was facing west) at a fast walk. They were about 200 yards out in the field and I tried lip squeaking to get them to stop for a shot. They heard me but everytime they stopped, there were tree limbs in the way. They were headed to the southwest for a small patch of trees across from me so I waited till the first one was almost there when it stopped and turned to look back at the other one.
I took the shot through a small opening and the coyote dropped on the spot without even as much as a tail wave. The other one high tailed it back to the north and I couldn't get it to slow down with any howls. The shot was 293 yards and I was shooting my CZ 527 American in .204.

Here's a picture from where I was sitting to the dead coyote.

Zoomed in for a closer look.

Here's looking back from the coyote to where I was sitting.

Here's the exit side of the coyote. The 39 gr. Sierra BK made a complete pass through on both lungs and I found small pieces of lung tissue splattered on the snow beyond the coyote. The exit wound wasn't as big as it looks in this picture. I had taken a stick and parted the hair to check the damage.

Here's a closeup of the exit. A dime would cover the hole the bullet made.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: 2/12/11 coyote

Post by Clint E »

Man that did make a hole WTG
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

293 yards and bullet placement like that is AWESOME! WTG!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
varmint stalker
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 11 204

Post by varmint stalker »

Way to go melvin nice shot placement :)
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

I can see why it went down without a flinch. Nice placement sir!
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Nice!!!!!!!!!!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Nice shootin
Savage Vaporizer
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

WTG Melvin.......Congads on another yote. Nice shot placement. 39 sierras are realy working well for you.
Thanks for sharing the write up and pics. It's like were right there with you.
Keep em coming!!
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Mighty fine marksmanship Melvin!!!! Thanks for the write-up and the GREAT photos. Keep these great posts coming.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Way to go, nice shooting! Great pictures, thanks for the great posts with pictures.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Nice!
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Nice Shooting....I love how You have the pictures of where You were sitting and where You took out the Coyote,makes me feel like I was there when the shot went off! :D ;)

How Do You like the CZ-USA .204 American...I've been thinking about getting that exact model myself?
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

GTOHunter,

I really like the American. I have other rifles in .222, 22-250, .220 Swift, 6MM, .243 and up but I like hunting coyotes with the American best of all. Even my CZ 527 Varmint .204 has taken back seat to my American. It's light weight, very easy handling, totally adjustable trigger/set trigger. With a good quality scope, an accurate load and knowing it's trajectories, I think you will really like this gun. After my son Lucas made the long shot the weekend before this hunt with my American, ordered one for his self the next day even though he has a new Rem. 22-250 still in the box at home. He had been thinking about an American for a while but after that shot he was convinced he wanted one.

If you decide to get one, let us know how it works out for you.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Thanks for the great advice Melvin,I've been reading Your Post and looking at all the pictures You take where You set up and then shoot a Coyote...I need to do that too when I go out and do a set with my Predator Partner!Thats a pretty neat way to reference when and where You've taken out another Predator/Coyote! :D ;)

I was wondering about the CZ Varmint Rifle and how heavy it was..?You answered my question about which one to get then,I tried a Friends Savage .204 in the Bull Barrel and it wore me out packing it over our 100 Acre Farm...too heavy and hard to hold on an animal if I have to do a quick standing shot. :chin:

I'll let You know how it goes with the CZ-USA American when I get it....been talking to a local Dealer on getting one ordered and putting a Leupold Scope on it...I'm out to do some serious Coyote Hunting.I've been using my Browning A-bolt Hunter in a .243 and it hasn't let me down yet...I just want a lighter Rifle with a faster bullet to reach out in the open Pastures and CRP Fields.

On a side note:
There's lots of nice flat land up there in Illinios...I bet it makes for some great Coyote/Predator Hunting!We live about 25 miles from Illinois/Chester to be exact,originally I was born in Red Bud Il and moved across the River to MO. for the past 50 years,I use to have a lot of relatives that lived up along Route 3 but most of them have passed away now.My Uncle was a big Trapper and Coon Hunter in Evansville Il and the local Barber there but He has been gone for several years now. :(