Three more 2/5/11

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Three more 2/5/11

Post by Melvin Eades »

Yesterday morning I went out to the creek bottom where I had found the coyotes were running the frozen creek last weekend and was going to set up on the east hill so I would be down wind and also to see them coming. About 300+ yards across the bottom was the dead cow the coyotes had been working on so I thought I would just watch and not do any calling.

I had just eased up on the side of the hill where I wanted to sit and wasn’t there 30 seconds when four coyotes came up out of the creek below me. I shot one of them at 44 yards and the others headed back up the creek except for one, it headed out across the field and I took a running shot at 121 yards through the tree limbs and dropped it in the field. It still had its head up so I kept watching it in case one of its buddies would go out to it. One did cross the end of the field about 450 yards away while the other one lay in the field. I started to ease down the hill and the coyote got up and started limping toward the woods on the far side. By the time I got down to the edge of field to get another shot, the coyote was getting close to the woods. I took a 256 yard shot and finished him.

In the afternoon, Lucas and I went out to the same hill and sat watching for any coyotes that might be coming to the cow. We sat for awhile when Lucas said there was one coming in from the north of the cow. We watched it get down almost to the edge of the brush when it stopped and then suddenly ran into the brush to jump right back out with a rabbit in its mouth and head back across the field the way it had come. We were whispering back and forth about how funny that was to watch when he said here came another one from the north.

We watched this coyote come in and start eating on the cow. Lucas wasn’t real comfortable shooting his .243 at this distance because it had been a long time since he had shot it at this distance. He said he would feel more comfortable shooting my CZ 527 American so we switched guns. I watched the coyote through the scope as he shot. There was the shot, a split second delay and then the coyote dropped. The coyote was trying to get up but couldn’t. It did manage to drag itself out to the edge of the grass and Lucas put a finishing shot on it at 338 yards, verified with two rangefinders.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: Three more 2/5/11

Post by RowdyYates »

Great story, pic's, and documentation. Keep up the good work!
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Wow Melvin. You are really putting the hammer down on them yotes. Keep whackin & stackin.
Savage Vaporizer
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

What can you say but......................................AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Great job! Thanks for posting the pic's and doing the wright up.