12/15/10 coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

12/15/10 coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Yesterday I realized I had 4.5 hours of vacation time that weren’t scheduled and I had to take them today or lose them, so I took them this morning and went coyote hunting. I went to one of my places I couldn’t hunt until the owner had gotten his deer and made two stands without any luck. We have a front moving in tonight with freezing rain and I thought I might have some luck calling a coyote wanting to get a belly full before it hit but that didn't seem to be the case. I was walking back across a big open hay field when I looked off to my right at a pastured draw that goes down into a big field in the bottom and saw a dark spot on the hill side that didn’t look right. I cranked up the power on the scope and took a look to see a coyote curled up asleep.

It was about 320-340 yards away so I eased back into a low spot in the field and made a circle to my right so I could use some trees in the draw to hide me as I walked up to the fence. Just as I got to the fence, the coyote got up, stretched and walked around a bit. I hunkered down by a fence post and watched to see what the coyote was going to do. It stretched again and started down into the draw. As soon as it was out of sight, I moved over to the next post to my left which would give me a better view of the draw than where I had been. I waited and in a few seconds, the coyote crossed the bottom of the ditch and started walking up the opposite hill. I had to wait for it to clear some brush and as soon as it did, it stopped. I took the shot at about 120 yards and put it in a spin which caused it to fall down and slide into the ditch and died.

I think I may have prevented this coyote from having a long, cold winter. It had lost a lot of hair to mange and was fairly thin. I was shooting my CZ 527 American with 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: 12/15/10 coyote

Post by Clint E »

Nice shooting melvin and way to spot it.
Come on now tell them the truth you got a little carryed away with the brush on its fur :D . We all know you like them to pose pretty for ya :lol: .
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

Another good deed done in the Holiday spirit. You saved that coyote from having to endure the cold wearing a fur coat with holes rubbed in it.

Good shootin'.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Snipage on one who REALLY needed it. Darn thing had to be miserable if not, cloose to it. WTG!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Way to go Melvin. Keep on "weeding out" the weak and the sick.
Savage Vaporizer
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I have to agree that you did that coyote a favor. Miserable looking creature
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Nice shooting melvin!