12/13/10 coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

12/13/10 coyote

Post by Melvin Eades »

Last night when I pulled into the driveway, I flipped the brights on to see if anything was out at the carcass pile of deer from our hunts that my youngest son, Ethan, a junior in college, had staked down by the 200 yard backstop. Ethan is our deer skinner and butcher. He told Lucas and I a few years back that if we get the deer home, he would cut them up. Can’t beat that! I saw eyes and they started walking to the right and stopped about 40 yards and stood there looking my way. I could barely see the shape and was pretty sure it was a coyote but wanted to be sure it wasn’t a dog. I picked up the binoculars and looked and sure enough, it was a coyote so I left the truck running with the lights on and slipped into the shop to grab my CZ 527 American.

I eased out the door and went around the shed the opposite way to get into the shadow of the shed to get a shot. The coyote was already back on the carcass pile but either heard me crunching in the snow or saw my moving shadow against the shed and started to walk out into the darkness. It was 13 degrees out and what little snow we had crunched pretty loud. I tried scanning the area and could barely make out the coyote standing about a hundred yards from the pile. I waited thinking it would try to sneak back and in about a minute it headed back to the pile.

It started chewing on a frozen carcass facing me so I waited for it to turn broadside but it wasn’t happening. The coyote’s head was in the way for a chest shot so I put the cross hairs on its head and squeezed the trigger. The coyote dropped and didn’t even wiggle. I drove down the path I had made to the backstop through the chisel plowed field so I could see with the head lights of the truck.

I hit the coyote just below the eye with a 39 gr. Sierra BK and no exit on about a 180 yard shot. Its skull was kinda’ mushy and one eye was bugged out a little. It was a healthy male with a very thick coat of fur and probably weighed about 33-35 lbs. Here is the way I found it.

Here is a view back toward the house.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
furhntr
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527 varmint

Re: 12/13/10 coyote

Post by furhntr »

Wow, nice looking yote...
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

Melvin

I sure like those Sierra 39gr BK's. I've been using my AR but the 204 sure does the job with those pills. Maybe I'll take her out for a run this season.

Good shooting.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Melvin--You showed a lot of patience and it paid off handsomely. That was a GREAT shot you pulled off!!! The coyote looks pretty light colored in the first photo, but a little darker in the second picture. Anyway, it is a nice coyote and with the "below the eye shot" you didn't cause any fur damage either!!! GOOD JOB!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

That's a real nice coyote Melvin. Congratulations on a fine shot. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

Nothing better than killing a couyote with a belly full of venison! Good shot!
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Great patience and shooting. Looks like that planning paid off well for you.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Nice shot Melvin. Looks like you've been getting a lot of visitors on your "meatsickle".
Savage Vaporizer