What rangefinder for 500 yd Vermin ?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

What rangefinder for 500 yd Vermin ?

Post by hemiallen »

I am looking at the Nikon 800 which is a 6x power. Curious if this, or some other rangefinder would work for probably more likely 400 yd max squirrels, and as a secondary use, out to 600 or so on deer. To me, 6x isn't enough to locate and mark a squirrel at that distance.

Or, do you just estimate distance when they are 300 yds or more, and use the impact to determine holdover?

This would be for 204, 223 40 grain, and 22-250 50 grain pills.

Thanks

Allen
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: What rangefinder for 500 yd Vermin ?

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I find that out to 330yrds with the 204 squirrels don't have a chance I don't bother with a range finder I watch for the impact. The low recoil and powerful scope make it a breeze. You could range certian land marks in the area so you know what yardage you are shooting at. But to range each squirrel might be a little teadiuos.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I have a Leica 1200 range finder (7x) and have found that it is almost useless when shooting Prairie Dogs at most ranges due to the mounds being so flat to the ground as there is so little reflective surface... Usually I will try to find a sizable rock or other object to gain a reasonable estimation for distance. It is good for reverse ranging back to the bench after the shot..

Coyotes don't usually give you a chance to range them before the shot so, I make a similar practice of checking out relevant items at various distances along most shooting lanes..My hunting area is usually in the river bottoms along the MO river and even Levees across an open field can be deceptive as to distance...

While mine is rated at 1200 yards, I've had a hard time holding it steady on objects past 950 yards and getting a reading, unless the object is quite sizable...such as a car/truck...I've never tried ranging a deer sized animal with it..
AR
Factory/Factory
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Thank you very much.

Sounds like I only need one for deer.

Thanks
Allen
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Have you considered the range finding binos. Bushnell now do some at reasonable prices, plus you get more power. Just a thought. Regards,Ken. :D
' Pay it forward buddy '
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have a Leupold rangefinder. Guess what, when coyote hunting i am basically using it as binoculars. I sometimes range find a few points around me before I start calling. When the dog comes in there is seldom time to rangefind my movement at that time is to the scope! I have a nikon scope that i am happy with, clear and holds zero cant ask for more in a cheaper optic.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

I have a couple of those range finders since the year 2000 but honestly the Bushnell back then was not great in cold weather hunting elk in the high country, it ate up batteries like Bass do minnows. Also the rain seemed to bother it for changing modes etc. Then I got a Leupold and it was hoping all my problems were over but that was not the case. The only range finder to buy is he Leica brand..........they simply work period in all kinds of weather.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Allen - I agree with Tonk and Old Turtle....the Leica LRF12 or CRF model. I use mine open country mulies or antelope, and for both squirrels and PD's, and as mentioned it's tough ranging small critters at long range. These units (all RF's) must be held steady for accurate LR readings. I can range squirrel or PD mounds out past 500 yards, IF it's held steady. I can get readings on trees, rocks, buildings and similar objects easily to 1,200 yards by holding it steady.

Here's what I whipped up for bench shooting rats at extended range. Works excellent, cheap and easy to make. I just took a piece of 16ga. aluminum plate, welded a 1/4-20 nut on the bottom to enable mounting to a tripod. A couple of rubber bands mates the LRF to the plate/tripod, and enables the ranging of very small critters at very long range, and pops off easily to hand-carry:

A firm support is the ticket for these amazing little gems. I also went through the Bushnell phase when these things first came out.....bogus. From experience, only the Swaro or Leica are worth buying. Others will differ, but that's been my experience so far. HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Another vote for the Leica! :D Gary
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

That is a neat little setup Rick!
hemiallen

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks Rick.

Since posting this question I found a friend who has the same setup and can range squirrels.

Looks like another item I need to save up for.

BTW, Nice bench / reloaded rds setup. I started labeling cases to hold ammo for the duplicate gun / chambering to keep them separate and easy to keep track of....

Thanks
Allen
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

OldTurtle wrote:I have a Leica 1200 range finder (7x) and have found that it is almost useless when shooting Prairie Dogs at most ranges due to the mounds being so flat to the ground as there is so little reflective surface... Usually I will try to find a sizable rock or other object to gain a reasonable estimation for distance. It is good for reverse ranging back to the bench after the shot.

While mine is rated at 1200 yards, I've had a hard time holding it steady on objects past 950 yards and getting a reading, unless the object is quite sizable...such as a car/truck...I've never tried ranging a deer sized animal with it..

I have the Leica CRF 900 and find it amazing how well works whether I'm targeting trees , bushes, and just spots in the field. I can even range the neighbor's house across the street thru my front picutre window - and it gives the same reading when ranging thru the open door. Any small device is hard to target at 950 yards but I'm not sure I could even see a target that far away. But I've ranged spots in the field across the road from where I hunt and verified the same yardage with Google Earth - so it works for me.