My first called coyote(s). Double!!!

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

My first called coyote(s). Double!!!

Post by BabaOriley »

Happy to let you guys know I've been trying pretty hard for my first coyote to come to a call this year, and it finally all came together. I had one come in last full moon but my scope was fogged up. I also took 1 fox that came to the call last full moon in December, but these were the first coyotes, and I got em both!

Saturday night, 12:30am, 8 degrees with a steady 5mph West wind. I set up about 100 yards off a 90 degree corner on a gravel road with very little traffic on it. I tried calling this spot during the December full moon once but with a North wind. This time they responded!

The snow was crunchy, but I sure like not falling through every step. I set my FoxPro Scorpion e-caller and Mojo Critter decoy out about 70 yards in a low spot in the field. This was the first time I trying a friend's external speaker from his Johnny Stewart PM-4 hooked up to my FoxPro. I started out running "Lightnin' Jack" on volume 24 for 5 minutes. This was a little louder than the internal speaker in the Scorpion. After 5 minutes, I figured I wanted to see how loud it could get, as I hadn't even tried the external speaker outdoors yet. I turned it up to 36/40 and it was VERY LOUD. Not 1 minute after turning it up I saw 2 dark shapes moving fast, on a bee-line for the caller/decoy.

I was sitting in the shadow of a thick bush in the fenceline, wearing snow camo except for my boots, gloves, and gun. I didn't bother taping my AR this year (Dtech .204 Ruger). At 70-80 yards, I thought I could see pretty well with the moon we had that night, but really in the heat of the moment I'm probably not able to aim anywhere but center mass, favoring the shoulder area if possible. I had loaded (2) 35gr Bergers on top of an AR magazine full of 45gr Hornady Spire Point loads. Thinking I did not want to get skunked this year on coyotes, at least one of these was going to die if I had to empty the entire mag. I think I had about 10 in there. I haven't even checked for holes yet, but I think I hit them both twice. First went in the one closest to the caller. I barked and that one stopped and looked at me. Bang/Flop. I get the second one in the scope and it's stopped 30 yards back where they came from looking back at the other one like "you coming!?@#$^%@". Bang/Flop. I go back to the first one and it's flailing around, and probably would have been DRT, but I put a 2nd one in it to be sure. Same with the second. It was kicking, so I gave it a 2nd round. Now on those 2nd shots, they were 45gr Hornady SP's, because the female got pretty messed up. Granted it was a gut shot, maybe two gut shots on that one, but I think the 35gr Bergers are obviously WAY more fur friendly than the 45gr Spire Point. I had a fox get blown up by one of those too. I thought the lead tip would show much less expansion than the 35gr hollow point, but that's not what I'm seeing in the field. I think the 45gr SP is just heavier therefore the shrapnel reaches the other side creating a massive exit, where the lighter 35gr Berger doesn't.

This graphic explains how things went a little better. It's really a perfect spot for easy access and sneaking in to cover when the wind is right.

This pic shows how this is pretty much a 2x2 mile section with a gravel road going out to the center of it. I know this road doesn't get much traffic, so figured the coyotes should be comfortable getting close to the road. The plowed up snow off the 90 degree corner was conveniently taller than my vehicle to hide it.

I tried to cover most of the gore. The 45gr Hornady SP blew her guts out. She actually had better fur than the male in front. These were my first ever called coyotes, and came on my 16th stand of the season. I was not going home empty handed if they presented a shot, so each got 2 shots. (1) 35gr Berger, and (1) 45gr Hornady. :)
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: My first called coyote(s). Double!!!

Post by Song Dog »

That is awesome! Great write up and pics.
CONGRATS!

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Hey Good Job! 8 degrees out you are one serious hunter are you using a Red light to shoot with or spot with?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Sat recon! :eek: You the man! :lol: Man I can't wait two more months!!! :eew: Gary
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

:assault:
No light but the full moon. When we have full snow cover and a full moon you can drive without headlights. 8 degrees is actually very comfortable when you're dressed for -20. It's keeping from sweating that's the hard part. Once you get sweaty, you get cold real fast.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Nice illustration of story and pics. Might head out this weekend to try out a new call. Keep those stories and pics coming.
Savage Vaporizer
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

That is awsome story and pic .
Glad to see you connected with them
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

Thanks for the write up and the pics as well. I too use the Hornady 45gr SP and have found just the opposite effect regarding fur friendliness. I have shot coyotes dead center of the chest looking at me where 50% of the time there is an exit near the butt end but really small (I actaully figure that the bullet fragmented and only a portion escaped), quartering away where the bullet lodged in the far shoulder (no exit), neck shots (these are the only ones that produced a larger hole than I wanted...about a 2 inch hole), broadside shots (there is an exit but very small (20 cal or maybe slightly larger but you can't be low, a center mass hit is ideal). If there is ever a factory load that comes with the 35gr berger I will definately try it but for now the 45gr SP will have to do.

I do want to say that when I do my part and send the 45 to where it is ideal, the coyote will go down hard with hardly any dancing with most times just the tail wagging 5 or 6 times then all i quiet. For me it is the best bullet for a variety of situations, calling where you can pick your spot or coyotes of opportunity where you are driving down the road and have to shoot at a running dog at a not so good angle.