Simple Predator Rifle Ballistics

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

Simple Predator Rifle Ballistics

Post by ACLakey »

I have been working on my rifle and loads for a while and have settled on a great all around setup for me. In the past I have used everything from a .243 to a 22hornet for calling with quite a bit of time spent behind a 22-250 shooting 55gr gamekings or 52gr HPBT Match bullets(a lethal and fir friendly setup I might add).

My current setup started out as a Savage 12FV and now has a sport weight barrel cut to 22" and chambered in .223AI. I currently have a 4x12 scope on top but wold be very happy with a straight 6 power as that is where it stays most of the time anyways.

The rifle likes Sierra 52gr BTHP Match bullets in front of 28.2gr of H4895. This combination is shooting a respectable and consistent 3630fps. After some bedding and crown work I can consistently get dime to quarter sized groups with the setup at 100 yards(defiantly Minute of Coyote). I ran the numbers through several ballistic calculators and made a drop chart from filed data after several hundred rounds. My recorded ballistics are as follows.

0" @ 50yd
+1" @ 100yd
+1" @ 150yd
0" @ 200yd
-2" @ 250yd
-5.5" @ 300yd

This trajectory allows for some very simple field adjustments for me in the field. If the coyote looks under 200yd I hold dead on and squeeze. If the coyote looks over 300yd I hold even with the top of the back and squeeze. So far I have been very pleased with the results.

There you have it for what it's worth. A very simple and effective setup that I don't have to over think in the field. Good shooting.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Simple Predator Rifle Ballistics

Post by Ray P »

AC Thanks and very well put...............That how Predator hunting should be. Simple and sweet! I see someone else likes H-4895..........It's my go to powder in the 204 Ruger.
Thanks and good luck hunting and enjoy the summer heat>
Later
Ray P. :wink:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"