Hot temps and prairie dogs??

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Hot temps and prairie dogs??

Post by Mike »

Guys, what has your experience been like shooting prairie dogs when temps get above 90 degrees? I'm leaving on Wednesday for my prairie dog trip and the forecast for two of our three days of shooting calls for high temps near 100 degrees (the third day tops out around 90). Wind won't be much of an issue and we'll obviously have sunshine, but I worry about hot temps keeping the dogs down in their holes during much of the day. I called the farmer a bit ago and he didn't seem to think we would have much of a problem and said that we'd probably have a 3-4 hr window in the early afternoon when shooting slowed down some, but that we'd still have targets even during those slow times. He also said the prairie dogs got very lazy in hot weather and made for excellent targets since they were reluctant to move.

I feel pretty good after talking with the farmer, but would like to get some feedback from you guys who have been there and done it before.

Thanks,
Mike
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Hot temps and prairie dogs??

Post by Clint E »

Mike cant help you on your question. Havent been PDing yet .Just dont forget the camera we like pics :D
Have a safe trip.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Never really noticed hot temps and sun hurting the shooting. Sometimes there is a lull around lunchtime, but usually some targets. Clouds and rain are a different story. Wind is not a factor either. Not an expert, but have been to Montana the last 8 eight years shooting pd's. I think you'll be fine.
ImageImage
Mike

Post by Mike »

I should add that I have the option of going to a different location that is forecasted to be about 20 degrees cooler. The second location adds approximately three hours to the drive each direction, but I'm perfectly willing to go the extra distance if it means better shooting. I haven't personally been to either place, but the rodent reports that we're getting back from farmers in both places seem to be equal.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Unless the "hotter" place doesn't have any targets, I wouldn't spend an extra 6 hrs driving time (per day). Our guide told me the pd population is down in the areas we normally shoot. And we may HAVE to drive an extra 3 hrs (one way) to find pd's, but we're going to be in Montana for a week.
The cooler location will probably be more comfortable for you, but I doubt it will make any difference to the pd's.
ImageImage
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I think the farmer gave you spot-on information pretty much just like another poster mentioned, there may be a slight lull in the action in the mid-day heat, but even with the 90 to 100 degree temperatures there should be prairie dogs out all day. Lately, in North Dakota, I have found that the first two or three hours in the maorning and the last two or three hours of the day, when winds usually are not blowing real hard, have been my most productive shooting times. Your mileage may vary!!! :mrgreen:

I was out in eastern Montana about 4 or 5 years ago shooting prairie dogs when the temperature hit 112º and there were plenty of prairie dogs to shoot if you could keep the sweat out of your eyes. I finally took my big red hankerchief, made a sweat band out of it and tied it around my forehead to soak up the perspiration. Well, you have to make some sacrifices to have fun once in awhile!! :wink:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I've never shot prarie dogs but for ground squirrels I'd set up a canopy and stay in the shade. Don't forget to keep your ammo out of the sun.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike, I agree with SF, in that the rancher gave you purty good info from what I've experienced in the PD patch during hot weather. Remember to take an old towel so you can soak it in the ice chest and use it to cool your barrel. Take extra H2O for yourself AND your rifle, and keep your ammo in the ice chest out of the sun. A wide brim hat is a must also, as well as long sleeved shirts to protect you from the searing sun.

The rats will take a siesta during the high noon part of the day.....a good time to clean that rifle, take a nap, or do a walkabout looking for more dogs with your camera. I'd not drive the extra hours either; no guarantee it'll be cooler anywhere in PD country than where you are planning to shoot.

Just remember your camera, extra battery and charger, 'cause after all this buildup...................we want pictures! :wink:

This is the setup I use for both PD's and squirrels when I can get my truck to the shooting position:

The tailgate makes a perfect cleaning station when you switch rifles.......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Rick,

Have you had any trouble with the canopy in the wind? Just curious. We picked one up this year but never tried it because it wasn't hot enough and when it rained, it was to cool for the squirels to be above ground.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, we usually don't even use the spikes for the legs that come with the canopy, but if the wind exceeds 15 mph, it's either time for the spikes or put it away so it doesn't end up in the next zip code.

On squirrels in warm weather, the canopys are hard to beat, same for shooting PD's. But on the prairie, the wind can get relentless, and never drop down to 15 mph, so local current conditions really dictate weather they can be of any use or not. Mine is always in the truck though, and it gets used more often than not.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Rick: I bought a canopy yesterday, so this will be my first year testing one out. Wind conditions are supposed to be quite mild (less than 10 mph most days), so I shouldn't have a problem with the canopy turning into a kite. I've also got the ventilated long-sleeved shirt and hat to help protect me.

The camera will be loaded up with fresh batteries and I will be sure to snap some pictures to share with the group.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

BTDT

After first day we went out early, and didn't shoot in the middle of the day.

Also, problems during heat with LRF, which tend to be affected by the heat.

Higher temperature air may also change external ballistics at long range.

Good luck.