Negotiating 101

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
maverick
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1V Stainless

Negotiating 101

Post by maverick »

My wife is a long-time marketer/sales oriented people person that has made a living on figuring out what people need and making the right “pitch”. Aside from being the “sellee” (otherwise known as unknowing victim) of this game more times than I can count, it has been beneficial to me as I’ve had the opportunity to watch the master at work and adopt a few of her techniques. Couple weeks ago, a high end catalogue arrived in the mail. Flipping thru it for amusement, I saw one ad and instantly recognized it as an opportunity given my wifes’ tastes:

http://jlpowellusa.com/product/38_48-AC ... Throw.html
Tucked the catalog away (I’ve learned timing is everything) and a couple days later as we were sitting around BS’ing after dinner, walked outside, got the mail, and came back in with the catalog stuffed in the midst. Set the mail down and started absent-mindedly thumbing thru the catalog with her sitting a few feet away in front of the fire with a glass of beer in hand. Conversation went something like this:

Me: “Is the horseshoer going to get here before… WOW – THIS IS COOL!”
Her: “What? What are you looking at? Where’d that come from? Let me look at that! OH MY GOSH! That’s gorgeous… I want one… I need one… I want AND need one…”
Me: “Yeah, you’d look pretty cool snuggled up in that thing. What do they want for something like that?
Her: “Uhmmmmm, 6 grand. Ouch.”
Me: “6 GRAND for a coyote blanket?!?!? That’s crazy – coyote pelts were worth next to nothing this winter. Somebody is making a killing IF they actually sell any of those things at that price… I think we ought to have the shoer trim all 3 horses, but only put shoes back on the Paint. The 2 geldings get…”
Her: “How many coyotes would it take to make one of these?”
Me: “Huh? I don’t know… 15-20 I suppose. Depends on how big the blanket is.”
Her: “What do you do with the coyotes you shoot?”
Me: “Depends. If they are in good shape, give them to a buddy that traps. Most of the ones I shoot though, are in pretty rough shape. My rifle is a little overkill, and it tends to ruin the pelts.”
Her: “Well, I was thinking it would be kind of fun to make one of these if I had the pelts.”
Me: “I can probably pick up a rifle that won’t mess up a pelt. I’ve been wanting one for squirrels and rockchucks anyway. I’ll get on that. Back to the horses – let’s leave shoes off the 2 geldings for roundup. They’re feet are in great shape and …”

Game over. Ordered a Ruger #1V SS in .204 the next morning.
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my toys for what she thinks I paid for them...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Negotiating 101

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Way to go Maverick! You just never know what can be accomplished with a little intel, some patience, and knowing your adversary. Well done bud......be sure to post some pics of the new acquisition when she arrives home! :D

(You may want to plan on trigger job/replacement and some forearm work. Every No.1 owner I know, including myself did these mods, and now the rifle is a true "keeper".)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

...Excellent. The student is now the teacher. LOL!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: Maverick YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! :lol: All I can say is WOW!!! :wtg: Gary
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

yeah...book me for one of those classes Maverick... :wtg:
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

maverick wrote: Ordered a Ruger #1V SS in .204 the next morning.

Terriffic, now if we can just get Ruger to make a few more.....

:D
maverick
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1V Stainless

Post by maverick »

Terriffic, now if we can just get Ruger to make a few more.....
Yeah, you'd think that on a cartridge Ruger helped develop specifically for the varmint world, that the .204 would be a standard offering in the #1V...

On the bright side, picked up my rifle yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised with the trigger. It might be that I was prepping myself for a truly BAAADDDDDD trigger pull based on the volume of negative press Ruger has gotten over its triggers, but I didn't think it was too bad.
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my toys for what she thinks I paid for them...